• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Oil Leak On 2004 3.9 Liter

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sam Maan
  • Start date Start date Feb 18, 2017

Sam Maan

New Member
Feb 18, 2017
1
0
1
Feb 18, 2017
#1
  • Feb 18, 2017
  • #1


Hello everyone, I've been a longtime lurker of the forums but I finally created an account! I bought a 2004 Redfire Metallic V6 about 6 months ago and have been loving it so far, only had to change the plugs one time due to a small misfire. Today I went to take the car for a cruise and noticed a small oil leak has made itself known. I don't know exactly where it is leaking from but it appears to be from the back of the engine and in front of the transmission, I've included a picture with two circles, one highlighting the spot where the oil dripped and one where the underside of the car is wet. Also, the spot is small because I parked it in a different part of the driveway. Could anyone help me figure out where the leak is coming from?
 

skyline247

Advanced Member
Jul 28, 2014
816
225
73
Cincinnati, OH
Feb 18, 2017
#2
  • Feb 18, 2017
  • #2
My initial guess would be the rear main seal. However, I suggest you clean that area off first and see if the source of the oil is indeed from that area or from somewhere else.

Welcome to the forums!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
595
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Oct 4, 2026
manicmechanic007
J
Engine Coolant leak from oil filter
  • jr273
  • Mar 26, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
333
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 31, 2026
squeak93
N
Edelbrock 1405 Setup
  • nathantaylor200
  • Nov 4, 2025
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
307
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Nov 5, 2025
nathantaylor200
N
P
Engine Mysterious coolant leak at back of engine
  • palerider94
  • Jan 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
239
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 19, 2026
AeroCoupe
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
850
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?