Oil Pan Front Sump Plug Question.

I have damage to the front sump of my oil pan where the plug is due to the sway bar hitting the pan. Now that problem has been resolved with shorter end links.

With the damage I can not get a good seal with the drain plug. Have to add oil every weekend when I get it out of the garage.

Does anyone have a idea how and what I can do to eliminate the front sump drain plug hole? I would like to plug it where it will not leak oil like crazy.

I am planning on pulling the engine next year and I will replace the pan at that point so I do not care about what I do to this pan as long as the leak stops.

Please guys give me some ideas I can do to plug the front drain hole.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I had a leaking problem one time with the rear plug when I bought the car many years ago. It was very loose etc.... Here's what I did, I drained the oil into a reusable holder. Took the oil plug to an auto parts store and compared size etc to others on the rack. I bought a few different ones going up in size. Making sure to buy ones that were (Magnetic) don't skip that if you try this!!! Then I screwed in the larger plug that fit very snug. The shavings stuck to the plug when retapping. Remove the plug and deshave it. Reinstalled it and then took the already drained oil and pour it in, like half or so. Then unscrew the plug again and drain the oil hoping it pushed any remaining particles to the drain hole and magnetic plug. Do Not Reuse that portion of oil again but do that a couple times to get any strays out from the front. Do NOT start the car either until you find no shavings on the plug!!! Clearly think that through but not responsible if you try it, just an option. I would park on a slight decline for the front oil plug :nice:

Last edited:
If you go to a local auto parts store chain, get the number for the factory plug (floor item). Look immediately to the left or right of that part number for the plug meant for stripped out pans (you will see the threaded section looks like it is cut in half).

Drain the oil and replace the plug with this one plus sealer of your choice. RTV, JB Weld, etc.

You can also buy a rubber oil pan plug that will fit into the drain plug hole. I've used them on stripped plugs and they do the job. Very easy to install/remove.

64359d1263786663-stripped-oil-drain-plug-plug.jpg