oil pooling in valve cover?

• Sponsors (?)

Yea the passenger side is the side with the PCV and crap. Have you checked the PCV to make sure it's servicable? About the only check I know of is to shake it and make sure it rattles. If not, replace it.

You could make an air/oil separator like some people choose to do.

ADRENLN said:
what could be causing this? its only on the passenger side.:shrug:

this along with the ticking that keeps seeming to get louder is scaring me. is it serious?

The "Engine - Oil Leak From PCV Valve Area" TSB covers the oil leak problem. Basically it tells you to install a clamp on the pcv hose connection. Had the same problem on my car.

i got the pcv hose clamped and thought everything would be ok. however the oil is still pooling in the valve covers around the bolts. i thought it was the pcv because oil was pooling around the last two back valve cover bolts, and they are right next to the pcv valve.

however today i noticed that i had oil pooling in the first valve cover bolt area as far away from the pcv as possible. any other idear what it could be? i dont think the oil could travel upward and that far from the pcv.

what is going on?

Have you tried replacing the PCV?

If you have 15-20 bucks to spend, try making the air/oil separator I made (on my website link below in the '04 section under How-To's there's a short write-up on how to make it and the parts needed.)

It'd be worth trying just to see if it works.

i didnt get a new pcv because my shop was out of them and they said mine was still good. is there a better pcv then the one i have? i am thinking of trying to do the oil seperator, but i dont know if this is my problem. why would i have this problem, i am n/a? the oil just seems so far from the pcv, did any of you guys that were leaking from the pcv get oil pooling in the very front valve bolt area?:shrug:

You should be able to tell if the oil is running down from your PCV. If it is in the holes above your pcv towards the front then it is probably gasket related. If its just a little I wouldn't worry about it, but if its alot and your are losing oil then you need to have the valve cover taken off and replace the gaskets.

I have the same issue with the bolt closest to the front of the car on the passenger's side. If I don't wipe it up, I get about a teaspoon in 3k miles.

It's most likely the rubber gromet that goes around the bolt. If you're not spewing oil, you're better off not worrying about it until you have to take the covers off for something else.

It's laborous to just replace one of those stupid things.

yea, i get a little more then you guys are describing but same idea.

so do you guys think its the gasket or the rubber gromet under the bolt?

this is a pain man, this seems to be pretty common. so i guess tighten it down a bit wont help anything huh?

i really dont want to take the valve cover off, they were just off for the heads?:nonono:

well thanks guys