Oil pressure issue round 2, Electrical problem!

MusPuppis

Nov 8, 2004
Lexington, Ky.
Ok, so folks were right, it doesnt seem to be a pressure issue at all actually. I did some more tinkering and when the pressure spikes the truck does indeed sputter and the CE light pops on every once in a while which is what led me to beleive it was infact a pressure spike.. but it turns out, its electrical. I think - heh.

Ok, heres what happens to the best of my descriptive abilities -

Start the truck, the oil pressure sits kinda high. (stock gauge). Once the truck is warmed up and the idle drops to normal, the pressure shows *way* up. Like off the scale. My lights will dim at this point and once I start to drive, every so often the lights will get really dim, the truck will kinda cough and almost die, the CE light clicks on for a split second then the truck revs back up and continues on. The oil pressure gauge also pegs itself when this happens. This happens under LOW LOAD conditions. The speedo and aftermarket tach I have dim, but they dont falter or jump around at all like the oil pressure gauge.

When the engine is under any kind of real load - slightly harder acceleration (think pulling into traffic and getting up to the flow speed kind of acceleration), floor it. whatever. The pressure will stabalize and the lights all brighten up to what they should be all the time. I also tried stopping and power braking the engine so I could put it under load but keep it at low RPM.. Again, problem solved. Pressure stablizes and the lights, guage lights etc all brighten. If I rev the engine with the truck in park, placeing no load on the engine, nothing changes.

I'm confused.. My first thought was the alternator wasnt working properly. Not charging unless it was spinning fast than idle. Why this was effectingmy oil pressure guage I dont know.. but thats what I thought.. But revving is pointless unless the motor is under load.. If I accelerate cautiously, or when I'm cruising the problem is evident.. but give the motor a little gas and make it put some effort into it and my voltage jumps up to normal, the oil guage stops acting up and all my lights get brighter.

I pulled codes, but got nothing new. Gonna pull em again tomarrow, since tonight I got the CE light to pop on a few times.. Maybe it stuck one in the memory, heh.

Anyone have any ideas? A crossed wire or something? Failing alternator? Huh? heh.

• Sponsors (?)