Oil Pressure Problems

I just recently put a new oil pump and shaft, got the pan on about four days ago and filled it with 5 qts of oil. I went to try and start it and the battery died so just got the battery replaced today and I went to start it again. The engine ran for about 30-45 second and oil pressure did not rise past 0. I was wondering if I should wait longer to see if the pressure goes up, try crank it by hand, or anything else. I did put oil in the new pump and turned the shaft. Thanks for the help, you guys know it all

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Prime the motor with a drill firsdt. If the pump and pushrod are in correctly you will feel the pressure and drag as you prime the motor, then you know the pump is working....

Check the Oil Pressure sender, these go bad all the time about $6 to replace. I assume your using factory gauages.

It is the same pan which is the factory one, I am using the factory gauge. The sending unit was working before I took the pan off but for $6 it doesn't hurt changing it. Also, I assume prime the motor with a drill means turn harmonic balancer screw with the drill and socket.

To prime the motor you pull the distributor and use a priming tool or you can use a 1/4" drive 1/4" or 5/16" socket (can't remember off the top of my head, I have an old dist shaft I use) on a long extension and put that into a drill turn it counterclockwise. I recommend taping the joints of the socket and extension with electrical tape so you dont accidently come disconnected and then have to fight to get it out od the motor This will spin the oil pump and pump oil through the motor, you will feel it "kick in" if not the shaft is not in the pump, you will feel the drag.