Oil Pressure Woes !!

• Sponsors (?)

Figured I'd ask what rpm your idle is set at ?

If the idle is set low for the cam then the oil pressure will read low. With my comp xe282hr the oil pressure drops a lot at about 650- 700rpm....my car is also barely running at that point. I have an aftermarket gauge and never see 0psi unless the engine is off...I'm at 80psi warm at 3000rpm

Idle set at around 1100 rpm.
Went out today for a 20 min trip, 72 degrees today so I couldn't resist. Oil pressure stayed in the center of the gauge range for the entire trip up and back, only dipped about 5# even at idle. Engine temp. remained normal so things are looking up. I don't see any of those 60 to 80# pressure though.

I'm in agreement with stykthyn 1100 is a little high. My motor is a fresh rebuild with tight clearances and a strong pump. My stock motors usually ran between 20 and 60psi.

I'm in agreement with stykthyn 1100 is a little high. My motor is a fresh rebuild with tight clearances and a strong pump. My stock motors usually ran between 20 and 60psi.
]

It will idle at a lower rpm but it really lopes and with the smaller pulleys the alt. doesn't like it. 1100 feels okay and it really doesn't have any pros or cons with 900 or 1100.

Figured I'd ask what rpm your idle is set at ?

If the idle is set low for the cam then the oil pressure will read low. With my comp xe282hr the oil pressure drops a lot at about 650- 700rpm....my car is also barely running at that point. I have an aftermarket gauge and never see 0psi unless the engine is off...I'm at 80psi warm at 3000rpm

why would you want your idle so low??? unless you what that real lopey sound

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a pressure relief valve stuck open. If there were ever and metal shavings that pushed past the valve it could get stuck and not allowed to close. This would allow hotter thinner oil or higher pressures to flow easier through the gap through the valve bypass, dumping back into the oil pan. The sender is probably after the filter too so some restriction there could also allow lower pressure readings.

Sounds like a pressure relief valve stuck open. If there were ever and metal shavings that pushed past the valve it could get stuck and not allowed to close. This would allow hotter thinner oil or higher pressures to flow easier through the gap through the valve bypass, dumping back into the oil pan. The sender is probably after the filter too so some restriction there could also allow lower pressure readings.
The pressure relief valve is in the filter, right? So a change of filter might help that, ordered new sending unit and have changed oil filter. must say I never gave this area a thought, thanks