Oil seepage from valve cover at bolts

PEWTERPONY

Founding Member
May 22, 2002
NE Atlanta
I have oil seepage from the valve cover at the bolt locations. Actually seepage where that plug is on top too, to the left of the filler cap. I have no oil pressure loss and the dipstick reads full. Not sure what to think.....Any help?

• Sponsors (?)

PEWTERPONY said:
I have oil seepage from the valve cover at the bolt locations. Actually seepage where that plug is on top too, to the left of the filler cap. I have no oil pressure loss and the dipstick reads full. Not sure what to think.....Any help?

My valve covers seep a small amount, too. I have talked to others with the same condition, although in the past, no one on Stangnet seemed to be experiencing it.

If my car sits for a few days, a drop will fall onto the exhaust manifold and smoke as it warms up. Basicallly just one drop, each side.

I can find it with a mirrror at the back edge of each valve cover.

I think it is pretty normal possibily due to expansion coefficient differences between the head and the composite cover.

70 dude....i didn't put gaskets on it, but im sure ford did at one point or another. My car is an 02 under extended waranty, so im not buggin to much about it.....I have seen it before at shows.....just curious

Realdealoo8 said:
You might want to try a pcv valve. If its sticking or stuck, you will build up crank case pressure and it will try to go some place. That would also explain why it was leaking from that plug on top too. :nice:

Probably a good call... Mine was leaking from the plug on top also and it was using alot of oil between changes. also on deceleration from high rpms you could smell oil, I changed out my pcv and its been good for a couple of weeks now..It was stuck i think.. hopefuly it stays good... we'll see

it's the PCV valve, only it's not the VALVE itself.... the valve 'twists' off...near the base is an "O" ring...most likely it's the "O" ring that's failed... your problem now is finding the correct "O" ring.. i went to several dealerships in austin...ie mazda, ford, lincoln, mercury..etc.etc etc...( there are a ton of them in austin..) none of them had the correct pcv valve..i had to apply an extra "O" ring to the valve and tightened it down...it's been 2 weeks now and no more seepage...

dude, that is the $50 million dollar question...some stores autozone etc... have an "O" ring kit....basically a chest of different sized "O"rings...i just one that closely matched the "O" ring on the valve and applied it along with the one that came with it...subsequently, i have "two" "O" rings on the one valve... it tightened down real good...so far, no problems.... good luck!

:bang: