oil smoke, but how serious??

Mar 31, 2005
ok, so i have 102,000 on my stock 5.0 block and its never been opened up ( same head gaskets, same internals, h/c/i, you get the idea... well after all of this time and owning the car for the last 4 years and 30,000 miles, ive noticed (only once) that if i let 2nd or 3rd gear hold the car back down a long hill, then when i stop at the bottom, there is a slight bit of oil smoke that will follow my and pass me by when i stop. there is no other sign of oil smoke ever, when i start the car up, no matter if it is a cold or a hot start, nor does it smoke if i get on it. my only question is what exactly is going on that it only happens in this case, and if i should look into doing something about it... i really dont have the money or the time to rebuild the motor., thanks, Kyle

• Sponsors (?)

Worn vavle seals will give you a "puff" on startup. So I wouldn't look to that as the culprit. I wouldn't worry about your motors internals either, seeing as how it doesn't smoke when you get on it.
As it happened only once I wouldnt worry about it. If it happened more often I would say you have a problem, but not if it only happened once.
I have a lightly modified '95 5.0 with 140K on it and if I go too long between oil changes it will "puff" on a downshift. Clean oil corrects the problem though.

Afterthought - Does your PCV need to be replaced?

droptopford 5 0 said:
ok, so i have 102,000 on my stock 5.0 block and its never been opened up ( same head gaskets, same internals, h/c/i, you get the idea... well after all of this time and owning the car for the last 4 years and 30,000 miles, ive noticed (only once) that if i let 2nd or 3rd gear hold the car back down a long hill, then when i stop at the bottom, there is a slight bit of oil smoke that will follow my and pass me by when i stop. there is no other sign of oil smoke ever, when i start the car up, no matter if it is a cold or a hot start, nor does it smoke if i get on it. my only question is what exactly is going on that it only happens in this case, and if i should look into doing something about it... i really dont have the money or the time to rebuild the motor., thanks, Kyle

Are you sure it's coming from your exhaust? Check under the car for leaks. I just had a problem where I would stop and would notice smoke, my driveshaft u-joints went vibrating the car causing my output shaft seal to leak which threw tranny fluid onto the h-pipe causing the smoke. I replaced the driveshaft and the seal and no more smoke. :nice: Check the easy stuff unless you really want a reason to tear into the engine and throw on some after market parts.
Tim

sorry to take SO LONG in response, school and work keeps me so busy lately. anyways, come to think of it my oil was real dirty at the time and nothing has happened since the clean oil. and also, i know my d/soutput shaft on the trans leaks a bit, ever since the swap. i swapped the t-5 in from the aod-e and the driveshaft is inserted probably a good 1/8 of an inch further so the seal rubs where the d/s had a little bit of rust on it from before, i might be chancing blowing that seal out by running it like this, but ive drivin the car daily for a few months now and probably 4,000 milkes and the leak doesnt ever drip to the ground its just a little wet around the seal. well thanks for the responses and you'll unfortunately definately hear from me again if somethings wrong hha. otherwise i'll just hope im all set. il definately be able make it to late november when she's coming of the road for the winter beater. i hope...