Oil smoke from exaust...

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
I am running the stock 154K mile bottom end. I have noticed that my car burns more and more oil. Not only do I have to add a quart every 1,000 miles or so but it smokes out the exaust. It used to only do this when cold, but I noticed it doing this when hot also. It lets off alot more smoke when getting on it now than it used to. I know the PCV is overwhelmed because I am getting oil all in the intake. I am guessing piston ring blowbye. I know this will only get worse. Should I start saving to rebuild the bottom end?

• Sponsors (?)

That's what I am figuring, probally this winter's project. I was just looking at the DSS website. I'm going to rebuild it but thier pro-lite systems seem pretty nice. $699 for pistons, rings, berrings, everythign you need to rebuild the engine. Also for $200 more you can get thier longrod kit which you get rods which are longer for better rod ratio's. I think I should save my money, get the block machined, then decide on what to get.

Do yourself and get some Total Seal gapless rings. The $250 is definately worth it. Also use good synth. blend oil with your new engine. I prefer Motorcraft ($1.40/qt @ wallie world....most dealers BUY it for $1.60+)

for the short term, have you considered running a filter on the PCV and a catch can? it should atleast keep your intake cleaner.
good luck and keep us up to speed on what you do. must be nice to get to do so much to your ride! :)

HISSIN50 said:
for the short term, have you considered running a filter on the PCV and a catch can? it should atleast keep your intake cleaner.
good luck and keep us up to speed on what you do. must be nice to get to do so much to your ride! :)

Yeah, I was thinking of running a catch can. I am sure most of the burning oil is comming from the intake, but that is because of the rings. M1 oil is expensive, I'm thinking of switching to maby 10W40 conventional, not sure what to do right now. I won't be able to do much for a while. I have broken the bank, I might have to get a second job. I bought all these suspension parts, then while waiting for them to get here the T-5 goes boom, so I had to get a new tranny with a loan and the rest of my savings, then decided to get my suspension fixed up and that really cost me more than I expected, I'm barley scratching by to pay my bills. I wish I just put my car on jackstands and saved more money, but I just am not myself when my car isn't running right, and now I'm stessing about money. It will all work out in the end.

90mustangGT said:
Yeah, I was thinking of running a catch can. I am sure most of the burning oil is comming from the intake, but that is because of the rings. M1 oil is expensive, I'm thinking of switching to maby 10W40 conventional, not sure what to do right now. I won't be able to do much for a while. I have broken the bank, I might have to get a second job. I bought all these suspension parts, then while waiting for them to get here the T-5 goes boom, so I had to get a new tranny with a loan and the rest of my savings, then decided to get my suspension fixed up and that really cost me more than I expected, I'm barley scratching by to pay my bills. I wish I just put my car on jackstands and saved more money, but I just am not myself when my car isn't running right, and now I'm stessing about money. It will all work out in the end.
i hear you - cars = stupid money pits. LOL.

knowing you, you are gonna do something nice and expensive for the rebuild/new motor. just take it easy on it till the funds allow you to build it the way you want (what i would do anyhow). you have to remember to set aside some money to get your grandma something nice for the holidays. :)

good luck, Jason.

HISSIN50 said:
i hear you - cars = stupid money pits. LOL.

knowing you, you are gonna do something nice and expensive for the rebuild/new motor. just take it easy on it till the funds allow you to build it the way you want (what i would do anyhow). you have to remember to set aside some money to get your grandma something nice for the holidays. :)

good luck, Jason.

If I wasn't obsessed with my car I would have so much more money to do other things, but why would I want to do that. I wonder if anyone has ever checked themselves into rehab because they were addicted to modding thier car? I wonder what they would do if I did? Nevermind, rehab is for quitters!!!

As I said, second job is definatly an option. I might do a UPS job for the Christmas season. I did truck unloading at Target when I was a teenager. Pizza route with my beater, something. Anything short of sligning rocks, or turning tricks....

Bank of Grandma is great, 0% interest, flexable payments, but I hate asking for money.

I think I will stick to a standard rebuild with better higer comp pistons.