Old School 408 transplant

Leezure

May 10, 2005
408.JPG

I've been reading this forum for some time now and have finally gotten to the point where I can post some pictures of my progress. The engine is a DSS 408 longblock with AFR 185 heads, X303 cam, edelbrock rpm air gap intake, Barry Grant Demon 750 carb, Kooks 1 7'8" headers and all of the front dress accessories that make things comfortable e.g. a/c and p/s.

I am currently finishing out the engine bay and should have the engine and transmission in by March 1. My deadline for total completion including paint and body work is June 6 where I will be taking it on the Hot Rod Power Tour.

Thanks to Low 5-0 for the assistance! Let me know what you think.

408 and Mustang.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Leezure said:
408.JPG

I've been reading this forum for some time now and have finally gotten to the point where I can post some pictures of my progress. The engine is a DSS 408 longblock with AFR 185 heads, X303 cam, edelbrock rpm air gap intake, Barry Grant Demon 750 carb, Kooks 1 7'8" headers and all of the front dress accessories that make things comfortable e.g. a/c and p/s.

I am currently finishing out the engine bay and should have the engine and transmission in by March 1. My deadline for total completion including paint and body work is June 6 where I will be taking it on the Hot Rod Power Tour.

Thanks to Low 5-0 for the assistance! Let me know what you think.

408 and Mustang.JPG

Welcome to stangnet!!

Not to jump down your throat right away, but afr185s aren't near enough head for that combo. I'd be looking at a set of at least 205s, most likely 225s. Was this one of those "well I had them laying around anyway...." type situations?

Adam

My goal with this motor is torque. Since most of my driving will be stop light to stop light I was told by the guys at DSS to run the 185's. That doesn't mean I won't run it down the track a few times (at least until they throw me out for not having an adequate rollbar)

Black95GTS said:
Welcome to stangnet!!

Not to jump down your throat right away, but afr185s aren't near enough head for that combo. I'd be looking at a set of at least 205s, most likely 225s. Was this one of those "well I had them laying around anyway...." type situations?

Adam

A friend of mine is making 650RWHP with AFR 185's. I do agree that the larger heads would be a better choice, but the 185's should work just fine for him.

whatever his head size... nice setup man.

You'll have to let me know how it turns out, because in upcoming seasons, I will be going with a 396 or 408 and am interested to see what she does in the car.

also, what transmission are you running and how much did those Kooks cost you?

keep it going man

I'm interested in seeing how it turns out as well! I have an AOD that was built by a local shop with all of the proper internals. That feeds into an aluminum drive shaft and a stock 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears. We'll have to see how everything holds up. I'll have pictures on Tuesday but today I will be enjoying the Superbowl from a barstool in downtown Pittsburgh. I'm taking tomorrow off no matter how the game turns out!