Opinions Needed: Do these rear axles look OK?

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
I'm still working on my Cobra conversion, and I'm now working on the rear axle. The Cobra's right axle was bent, so I pulled the axles and replaced the bearings & seals. From what I understand, the axles are the same between all the 94-98 models, so I'm going to re-use my V6's axles. I've included photos of the splines and the part that he bearing rides on. Can some one look and see if they see any problems? I've visually checked the splines, and there are no chips, scratches or warped splines. The splines feel perfectly smooth to the touch, there's just wear to whatever coating is on the axle:

axle1.jpg

The Cobra's splines look just the same, but the discoloration is further along on the splines. On the other end, where the bearing rides is also perfectly smooth and shiny. Any discoloration in the pic is just that, discoloration. The V6 never had any vibration or noise while turning, and the tires always wore evenly, so the bearings are surprisingly good for 180,000 miles. :eek:

axle2.jpg

I have no current plans to take this Cobra clone to the track, but if I do I'll then invest in an upgraded set of axles. I don't see any reason not to re-use these axles. Does anyone see any? I will (of course) clean the axle hubs and spray them down with a touch of paint before I install them. :D

• Sponsors (?)

can you take a pic on the other side of the axle where bearing rides on? even if there are even wear marks axles might be bad. i can tell if you take the pic on the other side.