• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Opinions wanted.

  • Thread starter Thread starter golf4283
  • Start date Start date Mar 18, 2008

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Mar 18, 2008
#1
  • Mar 18, 2008
  • #1
So I have a 1966 mustang that I am currently converting from a 6cylinder. I am at a point where I just started working in the real world as an auditor so now money is at a bit more disposal. I was originally planning on a cheaper method and now am at a crossroads where I don't know what to do. I am looking at this mustang I have and it has rust spots and bondo in places and I am going to want to get it fixed. My question now is, is it worth it to have the frame rust fixed and engine compartment rust fixed or would I be better off finding a donor car 65-66 that is rust free.

I have all the parts that need to go onto this car so I would only really need a shell that is rust free. What do you guys think I should do? Should I try and search out a rust free shell to adapt all my other parts to or should I fix what I have. I will not be doing any of the body work myself so that isn't the issue here. The issue is what will cost less in the long run.

Thanks.
 

coolblue65

Founding Member
Jul 26, 1999
1,224
2
39
Algonquin, IL
Mar 18, 2008
#2
  • Mar 18, 2008
  • #2
Ideally you are better off with a rust free car, however I think you will be hard pressed finding a solid rust free car that is reasonably price. Assuming the rust isn't that bad on your car the cost of repair wouldn't be that bad compared to the cost of buying a whole solid shell (unless you get lucky and find a great deal).
 

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
1,260
3
39
Hagerstown, MD
Mar 18, 2008
#3
  • Mar 18, 2008
  • #3
Can you post up some pictures? It really depends on how extensive the rust is. Qtr pnls and some frame rail repair is normal. Doritos in the doors. Battery apron. Floor boards. Toe boards.

If your front frame rails are transparent, and your rear torque boxes are scraping the ground, then you may want a doner car.
Good metal work takes time. If you decide to have the rust fixed, make the shop show you work they have actually done. ANd go to more than one shop so you can get an idea of what you are looking at. If their solution is to put a panel in and trowl goop over it-run. THe Mustang is a unibody car. All that metal needs to be tied together to make a sound structure. The unibody is more than the sum of it's parts-when all welded back together properly.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Mar 18, 2008
#4
  • Mar 18, 2008
  • #4
I'll snap some pictures in a day or two of the problem spots that I'm finding. I just feel like the body needs more work then I want to have done to it. if that makes sense.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
SOLD 1986 Mercury Capri 5.0 5-speed
  • blackmerc
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
16
Views
817
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Aug 24, 2026
General karthief
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
14
Views
449
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
AlexM556
A
S
Best place to source power steering parts for a '67? (control valve, ram, hoses)
  • SophiaTatum
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
150
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jun 18, 2026
SophiaTatum
S
S
Where's the rust???
  • S197 Stangster
  • May 27, 2025
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
147
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- May 27, 2025
S197 Stangster
S
J
can you use the heads off a H O 302 to put on a regular 302 engine
  • Jan H
  • Feb 25, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
6
Views
474
Other Auto Tech May 17, 2026
nickyb
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?