Options For Salvaging An Autolite 2100 Carburetor

phendyr

Aug 15, 2010
Hey folks,
Well, chalk one up to expensive rookie mistakes, I was replacing the fuel filter on my 68 mustang, 289 3-spd manual (stock), and the darn thing snapped off in the carburetor... had to go just a little too far. My carb info is: Autolite, 1.08, 8A AK, C8AF AK, A 8E9

Soooo, I've tried the easy-out drill bits, and some home-made concoctions to get the threaded piece out, and no dice. I know the carb could use a rebuild anyway, and with that said, what options do I have? I've found several carburetor service companies online, but who to trust?

In addition to Pony Carburetors, there's Carburetor Exchange, the Carburetor Shop, Custom Rebuilt Carburetors and Carburetor USA. I read on the mustang boards that Pony Carburetors are pretty popular, but pretty pricey.... anyone use someone else with good results?

I appreciate the feedback to help get my car back on the road.

• Sponsors (?)

a 350 cfm Holley 2V would be a good choice. I guess a regular, flat screwdriver, wedged into the broken threads didn't work? I would try that again, soak the threaded piece with something like PB blaster, and try a screw driver wdeged down into the threads. Try and get enough of a bite to get a pair of pliers on the broken tube....

Yep, tried the screwdriver, was able to put a tire iron on the end of the screwdriver for leverage.... all it did was break the screwdriver and spin the handle on the post, lol guess need higher quality screwdrivers.

I found a carb on ebay that matched my carb's numbers and bought it, so I'm going to try and rebuild my first carburetor, rather than pay so much for it to be done.... if I totally mess it up, I can still ship the parts to get rebuilt, might as well try to learn something before I throw money at it lol