Overheating Problem

• Sponsors (?)

it looks like this one, with the holes on the left/drivers side for the tranny cooler lines

Attachments

• CR5029.jpg
    CR5029.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 50
FMS sold an "aftermarket" radiator that was a three core radiator, it actually was built for an automnatic so it has a trans cooler built into it. Cap of the lines and dont worry about it.
As far as the overheating goes give us some more detail. Does it overheat just at adle, when driving in traffic, whiel driving down the highway? I am guessing you are not loosing any antifreeze, right? What all was changed when you did the heads? water pump, thermostat, etc. It could be any number of things..

I love the 85-86 GT, one of my favorite fox stangs. Looks like a heck of a car.

I had a mechanic install the heads, I switched to an Edelbrock High Flow Reverse Rotation water pump, and am not runnging a thermostat, but a restrictor plate, since i put in the plate, it takes longer for it to heat up, but it gets hot while at idle, while driving. I also changed out the radiator cap, because i was told that that could be causing it. Im still stumped.
Im going to try getting a new radiator, since i dont know how old the one in my car is, it was in the car when i got it, and i really dont know the condition of it, im also going to get a bigger cooling fan, i will be getting the Black Magic 3300 cfm cooling fan. Hopefully that works.

marine_2003 said:
I had a mechanic install the heads, I switched to an Edelbrock High Flow Reverse Rotation water pump, and am not runnging a thermostat, but a restrictor plate, since i put in the plate, it takes longer for it to heat up, but it gets hot while at idle, while driving. I also changed out the radiator cap, because i was told that that could be causing it. Im still stumped.
Im going to try getting a new radiator, since i dont know how old the one in my car is, it was in the car when i got it, and i really dont know the condition of it, im also going to get a bigger cooling fan, i will be getting the Black Magic 3300 cfm cooling fan. Hopefully that works.

Wait!
Don't go out and buy a bunch of parts yet, just put in a T-stat; either 180F or 195F.
Without a stat the coolant can flow past the radiator too quickly to cool properly. how bad this is will depend on how well the restrictor plate is sized for your application. Since you are having problems, I doubt any trial and error testing was done. The stock stat setup is about as good as it gets, no need to mess with it.

Why the reverse flow pump? Did you get a reverse flow fan to match? I know some folks have had to use them, but I don't remember the application.
EDIT: Never mind. The fox bodies have the reverse flow pumps. I was thinking that MY CAR was normal, and other applications would be the "reverse" of that.
Thanks for pointing that out JT, I didn't even realize it until after I replied to your pm.
By the way my avatar is a pic of me!

jason