P0320 caused by harmonic balancer?

robertg276

Oct 2, 2018
Virginia
Took my 2010 V6 4.0 to the local ford dealer to diagnose a P0320 and P0607 code which came up on my OBD2 reader. The car will idle fine and the camshaft and crankshaft are in sync according to the ford technician, but when the motor is accelerated at normal temperature especially under load the car starts missing to the point that it shuts down. The tech said they had spent ten hours on a similar problem with another car and after bringing in Ford engineers, determined that if the crankshaft pully is only "one thousands out" ? that this will set up the cam-crank sync to be off thus throwing the codes and activating the powertrain wrench warning light and its safeguards to kick in. The ford technician said that they checked connectors and wiring for shorts, grounds and induced signals and all were good, and reccomended changing the harmonic balancer and crankshaft sensor. He also said that there is no camshaft relearn that can be done other than just the normal relearn you get when the battery is disconnected and capacitors drained. Repairs for this job are estimated almost 600 dollars (including the $139 charge for the scan) Does this sound correct? Are harmonic balancers a one shot part like the torque to yield bolt that holds them on? Has anyone ever had this problem before because I'm not seeing anything close on any of the searches I've done.

• Sponsors (?)

Took my 2010 V6 4.0 to the local ford dealer to diagnose a P0320 and P0607 code which came up on my OBD2 reader. The car will idle fine and the camshaft and crankshaft are in sync according to the ford technician, but when the motor is accelerated at normal temperature especially under load the car starts missing to the point that it shuts down. The tech said they had spent ten hours on a similar problem with another car and after bringing in Ford engineers, determined that if the crankshaft pully is only "one thousands out" ? that this will set up the cam-crank sync to be off thus throwing the codes and activating the powertrain wrench warning light and its safeguards to kick in. The ford technician said that they checked connectors and wiring for shorts, grounds and induced signals and all were good, and reccomended changing the harmonic balancer and crankshaft sensor. He also said that there is no camshaft relearn that can be done other than just the normal relearn you get when the battery is disconnected and capacitors drained. Repairs for this job are estimated almost 600 dollars (including the $139 charge for the scan) Does this sound correct? Are harmonic balancers a one shot part like the torque to yield bolt that holds them on? Has anyone ever had this problem before because I'm not seeing anything close on any of the searches I've done.

This almost exactly describes a problem I have been having, did the harmonic balancer fix the problem?