Paint and Body Paint on fascia and door trim

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I need to have some touch up done on my 91 and need some materials advice.
The front bumper cover lost some BIG flakes of paint from gently parking too near the curb at a store. That had several layers of paint, and they popped off all the way to the black urethane.
Also, a piece of the door strip molding has a chip out from another car’s door, and is showing white paint under the vibrant red. I knew the paint job was cheap (but it is rust free!) when I bought the car, and I do not know much about the preparation and materials used. It is a single stage finish, not a base and clear coat.
So - what surface prep should be done to these soft parts, what kind of primer, and is there a flex additive that should be added to the paint? I know a collision shop will most likely want to just spray it quickly, but I do not want paint flakes bigger than my phone screen.
@Davedacarpainter and any other body gurus.
The front bumper cover is going to come off to replace the cracked header (headlight) panel and adjust the fender to hood alignment. So sanding the layers down or replacing the cover might be easier off the car.
It has been a while since I worked at a place that sold and used Sikkens or PPG paints, so my paint knowledge is likely out of date.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have black urethane, then it means that you have an aftermarket bumper cover.

To be honest, if you had a large area of paint adhesion failure like you are describing (a pic is worth a thousand words in this instance) I would be very hesitant to want to spray over that existing paint, as it could just be poorly bonded altogether. If it were my car, I would probably strip the entire bumper cover with 180 grit sandpaper and re-prime the cover with a good plastic primer and repaint it.

I'd like to see pictures of the bumper and door molding, though.

Like others have said pictures would help.
Pending those it sounds like you're going to have to take the bumper down to the plastic , paint color match may also be an issue.
I've painted quite a few bumpers over the last few years including all the lowers on my 93GT.
One product that I've had great luck with promoting good adhesion as well sealing the surface is made by Tamco.
I've used it for bumper covers on my kids cars , (they bump into things alot !) and it's help up great, no cracking or peeling.

Several layers of paint on the front bumper?

It might be better to strip the front bumper completely.

I’ve been out of touch here lately, who’ll be doing the work on the bumper and molding? Are you intending to do it?

If you want, I can give you a call and talk you through whatever way you want to go about fixing the problem. Post a picture of the peeling paint for me too, if you would.

Reactions: 1 users
My car has breen in tight winter storage. So a pic was not available. It might be escaping out on early good weather release tomorrow. I already plan on the old paint getting stripped down, preferably with a power sander as much as space allows by surface prep, I should have specified what degreaser is best now and what flex, adhesion promoter or special primer to use.

So the question is what primer and what paint additive need to be used for best adhesion and paint flex on stripped soft parts like the bumper cover and door strip? I did not think a better thsn Masco paint adhesion question would require pictures, but I will see if I can oblige and provide visual stimulus. Before we chat further about it. It will be a good excuse to get the car out.

B
Several layers of paint on the front bumper?

It might be better to strip the front bumper completely.

I’ve been out of touch here lately, who’ll be doing the work on the bumper and molding? Are you intending to do it?

If you want, I can give you a call and talk you through whatever way you want to go about fixing the problem. Post a picture of the peeling paint for me too, if you would.

My car has breen in tight winter storage. So a pic was not available. It might be escaping out on early good weather release tomorrow. I already plan on the old paint getting stripped down, preferably with a power sander as much as space allows by surface prep, I should have specified what degreaser is best now and what flex, adhesion promoter or special primer to use.

So the question is what primer and what paint additive need to be used for best adhesion and paint flex on stripped soft parts like the bumper cover and door strip? I did not think a better thsn Masco paint adhesion question would require pictures, but I will see if I can oblige and provide visual stimulus. Before we chat further about it. It will be a good excuse to get the car out.

B
Just my two cents, but I’d get someone to soda blast it. It makes life so much easier.

Adhesion promoter? Bully Dog works great. Any of the major paint manufacturers will have their own version too. Basically the same chemistry amongst them.

What paint system do you intend to use for primer and refinish? The major lines all add flex additive to their primers and clears now days.

A more value line of paint may need you to add a separate flex additive.

If you’re worried that it’s not enough flex, you can get a separate additive from any paint manufacturer.

If you strip it down to the plastic, use a non static wax and grease remover. Otherwise any water based wax and grease remover is good.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Here are two shots from under the front license plate, and one of the driver’s door bumper strip molding.
The single stage enamel (?) paint did not flex much or stick as well as I think it should have. I hope it sticks to the metal when a few small dings get PDR.
Also, I know the Vibrant Red was not the red the car came with, and some front panels were involved with a Venison incident. (It was mild enough that it still had a clean title.) The radiator core support looks good. I do not know why they left the headlight panel broken behind the bumper cover. New ones are less than $100, and I have a beautiful OEM take out one for much less.

Attachments

• 15D6490E-2CDE-4770-9B6C-E1A92521AD5D.jpeg
    15D6490E-2CDE-4770-9B6C-E1A92521AD5D.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 131
  • B6FF645E-14B8-489B-AB71-6C256673CA40.jpeg
    B6FF645E-14B8-489B-AB71-6C256673CA40.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 7705B012-0721-4026-999D-15C2E31AE657.jpeg
    7705B012-0721-4026-999D-15C2E31AE657.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 127