Painting door panel inserts need advice.

cbsdd

Dec 8, 2009
Hemet, CA
What is the best way to remove the paint off the door panel inserts? I'm converting my interior to all black. I just ordered paint from Late Model and am going to be spraying the lower half of the dash and my center console black. I have the black door panels but the inserts are all scratched up & the paint is coming off them. Should I just brush Jasco all over it and rub the paint off? Has anyone ever done this?

• Sponsors (?)

What is the best way to remove the paint off the door panel inserts? I'm converting my interior to all black. I just ordered paint from Late Model and am going to be spraying the lower half of the dash and my center console black. I have the black door panels but the inserts are all scratched up & the paint is coming off them. Should I just brush Jasco all over it and rub the paint off? Has anyone ever done this?

What are the inserts your talking about?

Yeah sounds good. I'll get some fine grit sandpaper and do that. I called Late model up and they said the same, prep it real good with rubbing alcohol and a brush & scrub the crap out of it and put multiple coats on.

Nightfire, if done properly why won't it last long?

I had my interior trim pieces (on my old 01 GT) professionally done. They lasted about a month before the paint started rubbing off. These plastics just dont take well to painting :shrug:

I wish you the best of luck......

Good luck.......your "new" paint job isn't going to last long.

Mine lasted 3 years and around 50,000 miles in the Texas heat:shrug: When I got rid of the car, the panels still looked great.

Sand off the surfaces, clean them down, spray a couple coats of your choice of color, and they should be fine.

I forgot which paint I used, but it worked out fine. It was cool 8-12 years ago, but I'm not sure I would start hacking up the interior of a 2v. I'm trying to search through some old photobucket accounts to see if I can get some pics.