PBR brake calipers

• Sponsors (?)

awsome thanks guys. i thought for a moment i had aftermarket brakes. lol. ill get better stoppers when i have a good reason to. im guessing cobra brakes are good. Anyone want to chime in on what brakes are worth the money?

You could convert to the Cobra/Bullitt/Mach1 13" front braking setup. Those larger rotors and calipers give you more grip when it comes to stopping, and will fit most (if not all) 17" rims.

The calipers are pretty available, as are the rotors and pads, and lots of bang/buck value.

Hi,

I went for the 40th anniversary upgrade kit. Which is basically the cobra kit but in stead of saying cobra they are red and have a pony on them and they come with the 13" brembo rotors. I got mine from American muscle.

Really nice upgrade and great stopping power. :nice:

When you have some spare cash I would definitely recommend them.

br

I didnt care for having them powdercoated, so I bought mine from buyfordracing, and although the SS brake lines didn't fit, just buy some MM SS lines, they are much better made than the Goodridge ones included in the Mach kit that I bought...and the Mach 1 kit is probably $50 cheaper.

Hi,

I went for the 40th anniversary upgrade kit. Which is basically the cobra kit but in stead of saying cobra they are red and have a pony on them and they come with the 13" brembo rotors. I got mine from American muscle.

Those are 2001 Bullitt brakes.

40th anniversary GT's and V6's got the same brakes as regular gt's and v6's

How good are PBR calipers?
In a single braking episode - just a little difference: GT brakes are rated 60-0 in 131 ft. Cobra brakes are 60-0 in 127 ft.

As the speeds climb and you have repeat braking - the cobra brakes will not fade as quickly - the will have a greater advantage due to their larger rotors.

Reactions: 1 user
The 99-04 GT pbrs are known for the phenolic pistons breaking down and seizing in the caliper bore, especially when the vehicle sits for a period of time with old brake fluid.

the 94-98 Cobra and 99-04 Cobra PBRs dont suffer from this issue.

The 99-04 GT pbrs are known for the phenolic pistons breaking down and seizing in the caliper bore, especially when the vehicle sits for a period of time with old brake fluid.

the 94-98 Cobra and 99-04 Cobra PBRs dont suffer from this issue.
So don’t buy them n get 94-98 calipers instead? I have a 1991 Mustang LX 5.0 that I’m upgrading to a 5 lug.

Personally I would go 99-04 PBRs over 94-98 calipers.

When I went 4 wheel discs I went something completely different, Lincoln LS - calipers, pads rotors in all 4 corners, re-drilled for 4 lug. The calipers could easily be used for 5 lug which is what I was going to do (this spring) until I picked up some Cobra front calipers and cross drilled rotors for all 4 corners. I will keep the LS calipers in the rear. Funny part of the find is they were on a V6 Thunderbird in the wreckers.

So don’t buy them n get 94-98 calipers instead? I have a 1991 Mustang LX 5.0 that I’m upgrading to a 5 lug.

No. I would still value the 99-04GT calipers over the 94-98, I would just keep in mind that they have the potential of sticking, especially when the car sits for long periods of times. They are a great caliper in terms of performance in a compact size. Lots of pad surface area. Fits under many wheels.