pinging or is it just ticking...I can't tell

Sorry this is a bit long, but I want to be as detailed as possible. I just installed the Predator tune and I was worried I may have some pinging. I'm not sure. My o/r H makes too much noise. Before I had the Predator, I had a Steeda timing adjuster and set it to 15 with no pinging. At 16, I got a little sometimes. It was very obvious though, usually in 3rd and 4th, up hills and such.

I installed the Predator tune a while back, but I didn't mess around with any of the timing or fuel values. I hear a sound, like pinging, but more of a ticking sound. It does it pretty much all the time to include lower gears and accelerating hard and easy. It never gets louder or worse. My wife says that she can't hear anything and thinks I'm crazy or just too anal. I remember an old V6 that I had that made a hell of a noise on 87 octane gas. Pinging was obvious there, same as when I had the Steeda TA set at 16 and she added some 89 octane. This sounds different. I was wondering if it could just be subtle pinging, or something completely unrelated. I can't exactly say that it was noticed as soon as I installed the Predator tune. I run around with the windows down more now, so I obviously hear the engine and exhaust more. When I first got the Predator, it was still too cold for that.

I've read a hundred or more threads and thought that it might be an exhaust leak or something. I jacked it up and didn't notice the midpipe or catback bolts loose at all. I also didn't see any carbon buildup around the fittings either. I really couldn't get to the header bolts since I didn't tear everything apart. Other than that, I changed the oil and replaced a full tank of gas yesterday. I plan to unprogram the car and see what happens, that seemed like an obvious thing to do. Should I add fuel or something with the Predator? I know that's hit or miss unless you're on a dyno. I was just curious if the K&N FIPK and the Accufab TB/Plenum may have leaned me out a little too much.

Thanks in advance...if nothing else, for your time reading this. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I noticed some extra noises after my tune, but it was only when I was in too high of a gear and going too slow.. I would definately contact your tuner about it

It could be that too.. I guess when we read stuff like this it gets us thinking and i know when i read things like this i lissin more to the motor and all gets me worried about my baby lol... But I am going to ask one of the tecs tmw so.. It might be the nature of the beast but who knows..

Well, I'll have to wait a day or two before I have time to check the plugs. I'll just let it sit and drive the wife's truck. As for the lifters ticking, is there anything that I can do about that? It's not loud, and no one that has ridden with me has noticed it. My wife thinks it's funny when she sees me roll down the window and lean forward trying to concentrate on the sound, as if that extra couple of inches I get by leaning forward helps. Thanks for all of the replies. You guys are great. I'll let you know if I find a loose plug.

Well, I was in NAPA yesterday and noticed that they carry SeaFoam now. I 've heard a lot of good things about it here, I think there's even a thread with 10 pages or so on it. Since I have about 40K on the odometer, I picked some up. Low and behold, it even says in their ad that one of the benefits is reduced valve lifter noise. I guess this stuff cleans everything. After I check the plugs and add the SeaFoam, I'm hoping that I'll be in business.

Just want to throw this out there...

You did not state if you backed your timing down using the TA, or what kind of tune from the Predator you put on. If you had your timing up at 15 and installed the performance tune, you could be pinging. I was always under the impression that the Predator will install its tune on top of what you have already done. So if you were set at 15 and the Predator adds 10% at WOT, that means 16.5 and you are probably pinging.

Simple way to check is to re-install the factory tune and see if the noise stops.

No, I turned the timing adjuster back to original, set at 10. I haven't taken the TA off yet cause I need to get a new crank bolt. Does it hurt to just leave it on there?

I'm thinking no on the pinging now. At lunch, I turned down the timing adjuster three degrees (set at seven). Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the car now read 3 degrees less than the Predator tune since it was manually adjusted? I drove around the block and hit the highway in front of the neighborhood. Car still sounded about the same to me. I set the TA back to ten, which is the stock setting. I'm still going to look at the plugs and add the SeaFoam. Once again, I appreciate all the help.