• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

pinion angle question

  • Thread starter Thread starter golf4283
  • Start date Start date Mar 3, 2008

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Mar 3, 2008
#1
  • Mar 3, 2008
  • #1
Ok, so I'm bringing in my Versailles rear-end to have the spring perches re-welded and need to know what the correct pinion angle needs to be for my 66 mustang. I want to have the perches re-welded so I don't have to put those triangle blocks in between the rear and the spring to get the proper pinion angle. Thanks.
 

jikelly

20+ Year Stangneter
Jul 9, 2003
872
53
99
Lubbock Tx
Mar 3, 2008
#2
  • Mar 3, 2008
  • #2
Alright, I've just finished measuring my transmission, driveshaft, and pinion angles. I've also read 12 or so different articles on determining you pinion angles. I think this one has the best explanation http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...ng angle s:

So here is what I found.
Transmission output shaft is 8 degrees up, according to the article.
Driveshaft angle is 3 up.
Pinion angle is 5 up.

That means I've got a front ujoint working angle of 8-3 = 5.
And a rear ujoint working angle of 5-3 = 2

The difference between the two is working angles is 3 degrees. Everything I've read says that is right at or just outside the limit.
Click to expand...
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Mar 3, 2008
#3
  • Mar 3, 2008
  • #3
so I need to have them welded on so that the pinion on the rear faces 5 degrees up?? that doesnt seem too bad. I know the current pinion angle is really out of whack on the versailles.
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Mar 3, 2008
#4
  • Mar 3, 2008
  • #4
If it was me, I'd leave the perches as is. I did a Versailles swap in a big block 67 Stang and did just that. Worked perfectly. Why spend money where it may not be needed ? As for the wedges, these are easy to use, far cheaper than rewelding the perches. I've had a set in my 89 Ranger's 8.8 now for 4-5 years. With a good jack and an air impact, they take all of thirty minutes to install.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Mar 3, 2008
#5
  • Mar 3, 2008
  • #5
so you've used the rear-end without using the wedges for the versailles?
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Mar 3, 2008
#6
  • Mar 3, 2008
  • #6
Yes. I used it "as is" on my 67 Stang.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Mar 3, 2008
#7
  • Mar 3, 2008
  • #7
awesome. I'm just gonna do that then and save the few bucks. thanks a ton D.hearne. you're a real asset to this board.
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Mar 3, 2008
#8
  • Mar 3, 2008
  • #8
I too, like jikelly, have a vibration problem after the 9" swap in my 77 Comet. I've changed the pinion bearings (the front bearing was bad), installed a new tailshaft bushing in the C-4 (the old one had too much slack), new U joints, & swapped drive shafts (the one that was in was out of round) But still have some vibes, especially in decelleration. I'm going to next try the angle shims, there's no way I'm going to cut the spring perches back off to change the pinion angle. The wedges are too easy to use to correct that.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Mar 4, 2008
#9
  • Mar 4, 2008
  • #9
So I decided to get the pinion angle actually set because I don't want vibrations and when talking to my car guy he told me he would do it for 30 bucks. Not bad for taking off the perches and re-welding them. I'll let you know the quality of the work. I'm having the pinion angle set at -2 Degrees
 
B

Blue Oval Man

Member
Aug 8, 2004
125
0
16
Shaunavon, Saskatchewan
Mar 4, 2008
#10
  • Mar 4, 2008
  • #10
I just happen to have both an original 68 Mustang 9" and an 80 Versailles 9" on stands in the shop right now and after a quick measurement the pinion angles appear to be the same on both housings. Not to sure on the accuracy of my measurement but it appears the angle is 4 degrees.
David.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Mar 4, 2008
#11
  • Mar 4, 2008
  • #11
well they had said that they were having vibration issues and I just don't want to have to deal with that at all. From what I have gathered -2 degrees is a pretty standard pinion angle on cars. I might be wrong though.
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Mar 4, 2008
#12
  • Mar 4, 2008
  • #12
I've got mine set with a degree or two of down angle now and it's got vibes. Setting it down is a drag racer thing, this makes it tilt back into the correct angle when the springs wind up. I think this is why I have vibes on decelleration now, it reverts back to a down angle on decelleration. With the stock setting on that Versailles rear, I never had vibes from it. You'd best leave it as is. You're more likely to not have a problem with the factory setting, leaving it as is, & will likely save you money and avert a problem you're going to create needlessly. But it's your money. Don't say I didn't warn you.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Mar 4, 2008
#13
  • Mar 4, 2008
  • #13
Ok then I'll leave it at stock if thats what you guys suggest. Let me e-mail my guy.
 
C

C0V3R

Member
Feb 14, 2003
524
0
16
Australia
Mar 5, 2008
#14
  • Mar 5, 2008
  • #14
Golf make sure you measure everything before you set it arbitrarily at -2 degrees. You leafs may alreay point it up in the air or toward the ground. You need to measure the angles in car and then work out what needs to change from there.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
Mar 5, 2008
#15
  • Mar 5, 2008
  • #15
I am no longer having the angle changed on the rear-end.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

K
Drivetrain '87 5.0 Installing New Ring Gear and Pinion - Pattern Questions
  • karhoot
  • Apr 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
500
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 9, 2026
Mindseye007
S
Differential noise over bumps
  • sharkrat
  • Apr 10, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
239
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Jun 18, 2026
TPony
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
837
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
Suspension Rear pinion angle
  • JD1964
  • Apr 30, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 5, 2025
JD1964
O
Progress Thread LTD-ing
  • OX1
  • Mar 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
447
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 6, 2026
OX1
O
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?