Please help me buy the right flywheel for my '01... 6 bolt or 8 bolt?

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
Broke
From American Muscle....

"2001 Mustangs with production date after 01/01 have a six bolt main. Please check with your Ford dealer to determine if you have a 6 bolt or an 8 bolt main"

I have an '01. On the side of my motor its dated 11/08/00. The drivers side valve cover has 11 bolts. Two into the timing chain cover and 9 down the cyl head.

I was thinking this meant I had a Romeo motor, with a 6 bolt crank. Is this right?

My dealer replaced a head under warranty years ago. They would have had to use the same style right? That couldnt mix things up?
Thanks for your help. I just dont wanna rip the car apart and find I've got the wrong flywheel!

Also: What do you think about this from AM. I was planning on buying aluminum flywheel....

"Should I get a steel or aluminum flywheel?
Steel - recommended for daily drivers, aluminum flywheels tend to warp under normal, daily driving use creating clutch “chatter”.
Aluminum - recommended for race applications and as a replacement for vehicles equipped with an aluminum flywheel from the factory."

• Sponsors (?)

I just went through this. I got an aftermarket clutch (Fidanza) and it was screwed up within a year. Had to replace the flywheel. Went back to stock the entire way (clutch, pp and flywheel). I went through O'reilly's for the flywheel as they were the cheapest.

Aluminum flywheels have less rotational mass and will take more RPM to get the car going. So you'll slip the clutch at a higher RPM to keep it from stalling....more clutch wear.

I'd just go OEM. When you buy the flywheel make sure if you reuse the dowel pins from your old one they fit the new one. I had to buy a new pack of dowels from Ford and they made me buy the pack (all 6) instead of just the 3 I needed. Sometimes you can look up the V6 Mustang flywheels and they will give you the dowel pin part number.

I *THINK* they were M-6397-A302 from Ford. I had to have them look up a 2003 Mustang V6 to get the correct dowels.

Same here. I had an aluminum flywheel and aftermarket clutch. The tranny as back out in a matter of months. I went and had the stock flywheel resurfaced and had an cobra clutch kit installed. It has been perfect over since and I love it.