- Aug 11, 2006
- 59
- 0
- 7
Hi yall
Recently I started having some issues with my 93 GT. When getting on the throttle, either WOT or close to it, the car sort of "bogs down" and doesn't accelerate as it used to. It creeps up to about 3K RPM, and then it sort of surges forward as it should have been doing. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the K&N air filter (that and a cat back are the only mods). Spark plugs are a couple of months old. Fuel pump is less than 2 years old. Distributor and wires are about 1 year old. Check engine light is not on. I used some Seafoam on it, both through the vaccum line that goes to the brake booster, and in the gas tank. After using the Seafoam I got a new symptom: now, if I step on it, it still bogs down but about 50% of the time it will backfire (one good pop) before doing the "surging forward" thing.
The car idles great, and I've had no other problems. At cruising speed and moderate throttle it drives fine. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the problem is less severe (maybe non-existent) in the early morning. I live in Texas so it's pretty darn hot right now, and a big difference from 6 a.m. when I drive to work and 4 .pm. when I drive back home. Coolant temp is fine, though.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Recently I started having some issues with my 93 GT. When getting on the throttle, either WOT or close to it, the car sort of "bogs down" and doesn't accelerate as it used to. It creeps up to about 3K RPM, and then it sort of surges forward as it should have been doing. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the K&N air filter (that and a cat back are the only mods). Spark plugs are a couple of months old. Fuel pump is less than 2 years old. Distributor and wires are about 1 year old. Check engine light is not on. I used some Seafoam on it, both through the vaccum line that goes to the brake booster, and in the gas tank. After using the Seafoam I got a new symptom: now, if I step on it, it still bogs down but about 50% of the time it will backfire (one good pop) before doing the "surging forward" thing.
The car idles great, and I've had no other problems. At cruising speed and moderate throttle it drives fine. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the problem is less severe (maybe non-existent) in the early morning. I live in Texas so it's pretty darn hot right now, and a big difference from 6 a.m. when I drive to work and 4 .pm. when I drive back home. Coolant temp is fine, though.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.