Power steering control valve play

danza

Apr 8, 2005
Hello everyone, i'm fairly new to the forum so bear with me.

Today I used a Control valve rebuild kit from Mustang Unlimited to rebuild my PS Control Valve on my 67 mustang. Everything went well but when I finished I noticed that there was still some play on the ball joint. The instructions that came with the kit say there should be no more than 1/16" of play but I measured about 1/2". Is this normal or did i screw up.

Please Help, I don't want to put it back on the car if I did something wrong.

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Well the thing is i just replaced the ball joint with a new one. According to the manual there's supposed to be some play. So is half an inch too much. Should i take it apart again....or just slap it on the car anyway?

Right off the top of my head, it sounds like you forgot to install either the spool bolt bumper or the adjusting nut spacer. Missing either of them will cause excessive play. Take it apart.

That's not a ball joint, per se. It's called a ball stud.

There is an adjustment on the outside end of the control valve. If not covered in the kit instructions, it can be found in the shop manual.

Basically, you remove the end cover from the control valve. Two screws hold it in place. Torque the nut on the end of the rod on the valve to 10 lb-ft. Then back off the nut 1/4 turn, alfter taking up the movement in the stud as you back off the nut. Then replace the cover making sure the o-ring is in place.

ALso make sure you grease the ball stud slider via the fitting on the bottom of the control valve.