Power Steering > Manual Steering

67coupechick

May 29, 2005
Sea-Town
Okay this may sound like a crazy question but oh well....my 67 mustang has power steering, actually it came equipted with it from the factory. But when I got it 5 years ago there were no belts or hoses for it. Now, my slave cylinder is going out, would it be cheaper for me to re-install my power steering or just switch it out to manual steering. I don't think it will make a difference bout the steering itself due to the fact that I have never driven the car with power steering connected....Is there anybody out there that can help me???? I am lost and don't know what to do!!! :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I am a little confused. The power steering is not connected(working), but the slave cylinder is going out? What led you to this diagnosis? If the cylinder is leaking, just remove it. It's just extra weight right now anyway. If the steering feels really sloppy, you should replace the power proportioning valve with a solid piece with no slop in it. The steering box might be getting worn out as well.I don't know if this helps, but it might help you clarify what the problem is.

i couldnt figure out what was making the crazy "klunk" and "pop" noise when i steered to the left, then it started to stick when turing left, so i went to my dad and he went out and checked it and that's what he said was wrong, so i am just kinda going but what he says....but if you have any other ideas of what it might be please tell me...thanks!!!

well the 2 cars i drive on a regular basis are my 67 mustang and my dads 68 cougar, and his is manual EVERYTHING and I LOVE IT...so I guess I am just crazy most of the guys at my skool think so b/c im not drivin one of the rice burners but oh well i love my domestics!!!! especially the muscle cars...love it

Well, since you've never had power steering, I dont see how it would make a difference if you removed it entirely. Since your car came with power, it already has a fast ratio steering box. My '68 came with all the stuff too, but almost no headers will clear the ram, so I may just remove the PS.

Yeah if you run power steering without the pump functioning you will blow seals. Just wasn't made to run without it. I also prefer manual steering but I have enough projects to deal with right now so I can't afford any of that stuff right now. Plust that way you lose less power also.