• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Power Steering Pump/alternator

  • Thread starter Thread starter tmartintk
  • Start date Start date Jul 29, 2014
T

tmartintk

Member
Jul 15, 2014
50
0
6
Jul 29, 2014
#1
  • Jul 29, 2014
  • #1
I've posted a few threads about this mustang in the past...its a 1989 5.0 302....I bought the car cheap... it needed head gasket replaced.. I've replaced that and got the heads..intake and Carb bolted on...about to replace water pump in the morning.....when I got the mustang every thing was already taken apart so I need some help with installing the alternator and PS pump and bracketsView attachment 104164View attachment 104164View attachment 104164 View attachment 104164 View attachment 104164 View attachment 104164 View attachment 104164
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Jul 29, 2014
#2
  • Jul 29, 2014
  • #2
P/S bolts into the driver side using two long bolts. Top one I believe is larger size and longer bolt that bottom. You have a non oem home made alternator bracket. That goes on the passenger side. It appears the bottom bolt on the alternator and the closest hole in the bracket go into the cylinder head using the long bolt that would go through the oem bracket.

You wil have to mock up that bracket and see where the holes line up. I assume you have no tensioner?

It is best to take pictures when you are tearing things apart for future reference.
 
T

tmartintk

Member
Jul 15, 2014
50
0
6
Jul 29, 2014
#3
  • Jul 29, 2014
  • #3
No I have no tensioner...and it was apart when I got the car..the ps pump and the alternator were bolted together for some reason...not sure why because i know they mount to opposite sides...thanks for the info
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Jul 29, 2014
#4
  • Jul 29, 2014
  • #4
tmartintk said:
No I have no tensioner...and it was apart when I got the car..the ps pump and the alternator were bolted together for some reason...not sure why because i know they mount to opposite sides...thanks for the info
Click to expand...
sometimes people move the alternator over to the driver side, so that could be. Looks like a shadetree setup for sure. You'll need to mock it up and see how they line up. Other option is to buy a March or other alternator bracket that puts it on the passenger side.
 
T

tmartintk

Member
Jul 15, 2014
50
0
6
Jul 29, 2014
#5
  • Jul 29, 2014
  • #5
OK thanks ...I'm trying to figure out this bracket lol
 
T

tmartintk

Member
Jul 15, 2014
50
0
6
Jul 29, 2014
#6
  • Jul 29, 2014
  • #6
This is how it looks mounted to the PS pump...trying to figure out where this bracket mounts
 
T

tmartintk

Member
Jul 15, 2014
50
0
6
Jul 29, 2014
#7
  • Jul 29, 2014
  • #7
And I have no mounting bolts.. what size are the bolts to mount
 

madspeed

Colonel Mustard
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
8,913
1,332
204
a van down by the river
Aug 2, 2014
#8
  • Aug 2, 2014
  • #8
Do yourself a huge favor and pickup a Chilton or Haynes repair manual and do a little reading. Sounds like this car was pretty hacked up
 
T

tmartintk

Member
Jul 15, 2014
50
0
6
Aug 2, 2014
#9
  • Aug 2, 2014
  • #9
I got a Haynes but really don't have good pic...would Chilton be better
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
969
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
O
Sooty/Oily Front Engine & Pulleys
  • ozenator
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
404
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 22, 2026
Blackhawkxx
H
Strange steering/brake issue
  • Haxmaster
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
146
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 3, 2026
squeak93
S
1965 Mustang with 80s 5.0 engine in it Power Steering hose or connection ID?
  • spearce
  • May 19, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
180
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jun 8, 2026
AeroCoupe
My next project , a 428 build!
  • horse sence
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
  • 5 6 7
Replies
132
Views
2K
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Yesterday at 10:04 PM
horse sence
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?