Fox Power Steering Rack And Pinion Drivability

Ajr3268

Feb 13, 2017
Tampa, FL
I have the stock power steering rack and pinion, obviously im suppsoed to get a manual steering rack for it but i dont have the funds currently, is it going to be harder with the stock rack and pinion (no pump so delete.) and is it drivable?

• Sponsors (?)

Hard to say, number of turns, tire size, air pressure, if you must drive it before the rack install I'd say inflate the tires to maximum pressure. Take return line and install it to the pressure hose so you won't squirt fluid out.
Just curious, why manual?

Im not actually planning to go manual i just need a new rack and pinion, i was tightening a hose and tightened it too much and it cracked it wide open so.. I just need it too hold up for now with some epoxy, and hopefully not leak and save up for a new one. Im only in high school lol, i have to to make it work somehow.

I won't say it's true,but a couple of the Old hotrodders told me if you fill the gearbox full of fluid and run a foot of hose from the pressure side to the return side it would be tolerable sitting still and low speeds

Im confused by your first post. You deleted the pump? The hose cracked?

Assuming you want to delete the PS pump and go manual, you can get a chinee rack off eBay for $100, buy a used steering shaft (or piece one together with parts from Speedway Motors) and be done for $275 after an alignment.

The other option is getting a remanufactured piece from a parts store, but I've had terrible luck with them. I had been driving my car with the PS rack and no pump. It's not one-finger-turning, but it's doable.

Im confused by your first post. You deleted the pump? The hose cracked?

Assuming you want to delete the PS pump and go manual, you can get a chinee rack off eBay for $100, buy a used steering shaft (or piece one together with parts from Speedway Motors) and be done for $275 after an alignment.

The other option is getting a remanufactured piece from a parts store, but I've had terrible luck with them. I had been driving my car with the PS rack and no pump. It's not one-finger-turning, but it's doable.