• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Power to manual steering ? searched 1st

  • Thread starter Thread starter 89lx5o
  • Start date Start date Dec 10, 2004
8

89lx5o

New Member
Apr 10, 2004
46
0
0
Dec 10, 2004
#1
  • Dec 10, 2004
  • #1
I did a search for this and found some info but I have a couple of more questions. First, according to the info in the old posts I can just change the center link and the pitman arm on my 70 if I want to keep the old steering box and everything else will stay the same. Is this right? I was thinking you had to use different tie rod ends? Also my power steering and water pump run off the same belt(the motor in my car is a 351C)what pulley set up do I need to complete this conversion? I'm about sick of the leaks with the power steering. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

66P51GT

New Member
Nov 7, 2003
721
1
0
Cerritos, CA
Dec 10, 2004
#2
  • Dec 10, 2004
  • #2
I know on the '66 you have to change the tie-rods. Not sure about the 70.

You still have a belt for the alternator so you can just remove the belt and not worry about it
-or-
you can find some single groove crank and water pump pulleys
-or-
you can install a trick serpentine belt that only drives the alternator and water pump. You don't need a reverse rotation pump for this, just the pulleys and belt.

Personally, I'd opt to fix the leaks and keep the power if you drive it on the street.
 

66P51GT

New Member
Nov 7, 2003
721
1
0
Cerritos, CA
Dec 10, 2004
#3
  • Dec 10, 2004
  • #3
Missfire.
 
8

89lx5o

New Member
Apr 10, 2004
46
0
0
Dec 13, 2004
#4
  • Dec 13, 2004
  • #4
I only want to do this once, so should I go ahead and buy a new steering box from say Flaming River along with a center link and pitman arm? How do you tension the water pump belt after you remove the power steering pump?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Suspension Foxbody mustang Steering shaft issue
  • Jakub2537
  • Sep 5, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
237
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 11, 2026
gkomo
B
Idler pulley as substitute for Power Steering Pump ?
  • Bhenders
  • Jul 15, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
5
Views
261
Other Auto Tech Jul 16, 2026
LILCBRA
D
Power steering pump bracket with A/C
  • Dczookster
  • Apr 1, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
968
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 2, 2025
rednotch
J
66 Fastback with 302 stroker. I have center link Borgeson issues Please advise
  • Joe Johnston
  • Sep 16, 2024
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
292
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 17, 2024
Joe Johnston
J
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
341
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?