• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

PR length

  • Thread starter Thread starter woodsnake
  • Start date Start date Jun 11, 2008

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
1,352
15
69
Hicksville, NY
Jun 11, 2008
#1
  • Jun 11, 2008
  • #1
OK, I just got back from Germany last weekend. Today, I had time to go look at the valve train on my gray 68 289. I have been thru all heck with this engine! to review, it's a 289 that's been bored .030 over, and .010 over and under on the rods and mains. I have an Edelbrock performer RPM cam, the "correct" springs, at the right installed height. I measured for pushrod length, and ordered the Trick flow 6.750 PR's.

So, while the engine was cold, I pulled the valve covers off to inspect the wear pattern. The intakes were perfect, with a 1/32'nd pattern, nicely in the middle. The exhaust, however, showed about a .040 wear pattern, starting in the center and slightly on the long side.
Do you think this is an acceptable pattern? The car will probably never see the strip, and not a whole lot of spirited driving.
For some reason I can't right click to post pictures inside the dialog box...
__________________
 
T

TOM B

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 15, 2002
872
1
16
Harrisburg Pa
Jun 14, 2008
#2
  • Jun 14, 2008
  • #2
I would say its ok as long as the pattern is not going to the edge of the valve tip. When I set mine up on my 302 stroker and had a longer pattern on the exhaust side but still ok.
Comp Cams has a good site on this
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/FAQ/ValvetrainGeometry.asp
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

P
Engine Swapping EFI distributor for carb distributor- shaft length is different
  • pindude80
  • Jul 20, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 21, 2024
pindude80
P
Engine Throwing codes 94, 33, 34, 44, and sporadic engine shutoff.
  • Ryu
  • Oct 9, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
13
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 13, 2026
Noobz347
Progress Thread H/C Swap Problems/Ideas
  • sav22rem22
  • Mar 31, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 10, 2024
AeroCoupe
pushrod length help
  • lunetick
  • Feb 6, 2021
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Feb 13, 2021
rockyracoon
R
SN Mustang Magnum T56 swap
  • revhead347
  • May 24, 2024
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
15
Views
7K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jun 28, 2026
GearHeadGuy
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?