Prepurchasing Questions For 2016 Or Later Mustang Gt

bmorebullets

Aug 11, 2017
So, I have always thought highly of the early model Mustangs but I never fell in love with the late models until the 2016 model was released. I cannot take my mind off of buying one. I started doing some research about the proc and cons, and the likes and dislikes, and the first 10 mods to get when buying a Mustang GT. So here is what info I have accumulated to this point:

1. Buy the Mustang GT Premuum with the wheel and performance packages
2. Buy Track suspension package ???
3. Buy springs to eliminate body roll and wheel gap
4. Buy new tires
5. Tint windows
6. Buy after market exhaust system

Here are my worries:
1. Is the body gap/alignment really that bad?
2. Does the paint get chipped that easily?
3. Does the motor leak oil easily? why?

Please let me know what you think about this information. I think I'm purchasing around May 2018.

Thank You

• Sponsors (?)

So, I have always thought highly of the early model Mustangs but I never fell in love with the late models until the 2016 model was released. I cannot take my mind off of buying one. I started doing some research about the proc and cons, and the likes and dislikes, and the first 10 mods to get when buying a Mustang GT. So here is what info I have accumulated to this point:

1. Buy the Mustang GT Premium with the wheel and performance packages----Good choice, that's what I have, but a convertible.
2. Buy Track suspension package ???----If you're not going to take it to track day events, don't waste your money, the stock performance pack suspension is basically the ford racing street handling package anyway.
3. Buy springs to eliminate body roll and wheel gap.----If that's what you like, go for it.
4. Buy new tires----The pirelli P-Zero's that come with the PP are decent tires, but they are summer only.
5. Tint windows----Your choice
6. Buy after market exhaust system----Definitely, go to your local show and shine cruises and talk to other S-550 owners and listen to their setups and see what you like. I put on the ford racing sport mufflers by borla, and its a little too high pitched for my taste, eventually I want to switch them out for the magnaflow competition series

Here are my worries:
1. Is the body gap/alignment really that bad?----No, it's pretty good
2. Does the paint get chipped that easily?----Yes, put a heavy coat of wax on the nose, it helps
3. Does the motor leak oil easily? why?----No, not that I have seen.

Please let me know what you think about this information. I think I'm purchasing around May 2018.

Thank You

1. Buy the Mustang GT Premuum with the wheel and performance packages
2. Buy Track suspension package ???
3. Buy springs to eliminate body roll and wheel gap
4. Buy new tires
5. Tint windows
6. Buy after market exhaust system

Here are my worries:
1. Is the body gap/alignment really that bad?
2. Does the paint get chipped that easily?
3. Does the motor leak oil easily? why?

Thank You

I have the 2017 Race Red Performance Package.
The paint chips easy ( too easy), and in my case I had paint defects that im dealing with Ford now.

The Performance Package vs the base GT are two different animals. I drove the base GT for about 2 weeks and got the PP. The PP has 373 gears and larger brakes among other things.....worth it.

Personally after my experience I wouldn't buy one if I did it again (flame on). I had rocks chips in the first 800 miles, the paint is thin.

Yes the paint still looks great but chips are annoying and cheap quality.

One downside is you pay close to 38k and drive off the lot and its worth 29k, but its your money and call.

I would look after a clean low mileage 2016 and inspect the paint throughly to ensure it is a quality one.

Lastly these are just my opinions from my experience. But buying a PP over a base GT comes with better everything, tires, springs, chassis stiffeners.

To be fair about the depreciation. There aren't many cars/trucks that don't do the exact samething.

True, my point was a low mileage used one would be a better buy since he was looking at specifically the 2016 (2015-2017 models).

No use paying a premium when the 2018 are coming out.

Reactions: 1 user
I just bought a 2017 and looked hard for a 2016 with low miles...but the price difference between new wasn't enough not to jump on the Ford Financing deals. If you are financing...you can't beat 72 months at 0% interest...you get to play with their money. If you are a cash buyer...well then saving several thousand makes sense....

As for paint issues and oil concerns...none seen on mine yet....but its still low miles at this point. Either put extra wax on the front, or look for 3M clear protection films. Some guys even try a fancy wrap on the front to protect the cars....