• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Pro Comp Heads?

  • Thread starter Thread starter skywalker
  • Start date Start date Jul 5, 2005

skywalker

Member
Dec 22, 2003
733
0
16
Pensacola, FL
Jul 5, 2005
#1
  • Jul 5, 2005
  • #1
I was wondering if anyone had heard of "Pro Comp Heads" out of australia (apparently they make other items as well...) They don't have a website, and I've only found one person who had used them on the net, though he did say great things about the heads. Any information is useful, thanks!
 

67GTCOUPE

Founding Member
Dec 20, 2000
653
0
0
Land of Ice and Snow
Jul 11, 2005
#2
  • Jul 11, 2005
  • #2
There is a guy on the corral who bought those....At least I think it was those,,,,,,they are a cheap knock off of a vic jr...........he has had major trouble with them.....do a search and see if they are the same.
 

dennis112

15 Year Member
May 15, 2005
1,561
36
79
Amish Wonderland of Central PA.
Jul 12, 2005
#3
  • Jul 12, 2005
  • #3
The biggest problem is/was the hole that the pushrod goes through was not drilled at the correct angle (at least on the early heads.) This is an easy fix if you have access to a vertical mill. Just need to reshape the top of the hole.

Here is a discussion concerning these heads: http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23839
The last post references more info found on the Corral--it is a good read.

My opinion, based upon my having (and using) these heads, is to save your money for the Vic Jrs (or AFR, etc.) The Pro Comps are reworkable (and very pretty), but you really don't save much in the end.

You can PM me if you want to know more. . . . .
 
D

Dr_Pain

New Member
Apr 5, 2005
69
0
0
Jul 12, 2005
#4
  • Jul 12, 2005
  • #4
I have some Pro Comp....... What is wrong with mine???? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

What!?!?!?! Actually I have some majorly modified ProComp heads. Here is my attempt at a second generation story. From what I understand ProComp, ProTopline and a few more of those Australian heads came to life (for the Fords) because of their success with the aftermarket GM products. Unfortunately they did not have the anticipated boom in the American market because of their price was about the same as some other more powerful heads. The casting itself is very good and those heads have a lot of potential, but since they they were introduced, they have made a few people unhappy and the rest is history.... i.e. the telephone game lives on.... one person tells another person about their "dissapointing experience", who tells another one about their friends "misfortune", who tells someone else about the "crappy product" etc....

So why am I so happy about my heads??? Simple, take the diamond in a the rough and put the work and research into it (in my case find a guy that knows more than the average person and that actually developed the CNC program to port the heads). My heads underwent a 5 axis Stage 3 CNC porting, 5 angle valve job etc.... They are mounted with a set of 1.72 rollers (by the way, the push rod story developed from a misunderstanding that you could put 1.6 rockers on those heads...wrong angle). They flow 330/250 CFM on a 220cc runner and matted to my 351w 60 over 418 stroker (427CID) can develop about 570 HP. Bad heads, I think not!!!!!
 

67GTCOUPE

Founding Member
Dec 20, 2000
653
0
0
Land of Ice and Snow
Jul 12, 2005
#5
  • Jul 12, 2005
  • #5
Dr_Pain said:
I have some Pro Comp....... What is wrong with mine???? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

What!?!?!?! Actually I have some majorly modified ProComp heads. Here is my attempt at a second generation story. From what I understand ProComp, ProTopline and a few more of those Australian heads came to life (for the Fords) because of their success with the aftermarket GM products. Unfortunately they did not have the anticipated boom in the American market because of their price was about the same as some other more powerful heads. The casting itself is very good and those heads have a lot of potential, but since they they were introduced, they have made a few people unhappy and the rest is history.... i.e. the telephone game lives on.... one person tells another person about their "dissapointing experience", who tells another one about their friends "misfortune", who tells someone else about the "crappy product" etc....

So why am I so happy about my heads??? Simple, take the diamond in a the rough and put the work and research into it (in my case find a guy that knows more than the average person and that actually developed the CNC program to port the heads). My heads underwent a 5 axis Stage 3 CNC porting, 5 angle valve job etc.... They are mounted with a set of 1.72 rollers (by the way, the push rod story developed from a misunderstanding that you could put 1.6 rockers on those heads...wrong angle). They flow 330/250 CFM on a 220cc runner and matted to my 351w 60 over 418 stroker (427CID) can develop about 570 HP. Bad heads, I think not!!!!!
Click to expand...



Stop and think about it.........LOOK at how much work you had to do.

It would be easier and cheaper to buy ported Vic Jr's or AFR 205s.

There is about 20 pages of thread on the corral on all the trouble someone had.......they had major work to get them to work.........so, I would think the average guy with no tools/skills/machine equipment....might not like them.
 
D

Dr_Pain

New Member
Apr 5, 2005
69
0
0
Jul 12, 2005
#6
  • Jul 12, 2005
  • #6
67GTCOUPE said:
Stop and think about it.........LOOK at how much work you had to do.

It would be easier and cheaper to buy ported Vic Jr's or AFR 205s.

There is about 20 pages of thread on the corral on all the trouble someone had.......they had major work to get them to work.........so, I would think the average guy with no tools/skills/machine equipment....might not like them.
Click to expand...

I wanted raw power and would have had to port any heads I would have bought. The ProComp had a little more potential, in my opinion. I am not saying buy the heads, unless you are wanting to put some good dollars in the machining and I agree with you that you will find cheaper and that it is not for the average guy, BUT isn't it nice to share a first hand positive experience once in a while. As you may have notice, I did not throw-in names or websites or marketed the heads in any way shape or form.

Unless you will be doing work on the heads, they are not worth the money. I hope the pseudo negative suits you better.

For your information, the same guy, that did the work on my heads, also ports Vic's and AFR's. Actually, AFR actually approached him recently to buy his CNC porting calibration/software. Good guy, good work GOOD MONEY!!!
 

dennis112

15 Year Member
May 15, 2005
1,561
36
79
Amish Wonderland of Central PA.
Jul 14, 2005
#7
  • Jul 14, 2005
  • #7
Dr_Pain said:
(by the way, the push rod story developed from a misunderstanding that you could put 1.6 rockers on those heads...wrong angle).
Click to expand...

As mentioned before, I have first hand experience with this product. The pushrod holes were not correct even for 1.7 ratio rockers (see signature.) I agree that they it would be worse using 1.6 rockers. Luckily I have a shop with a mill in order to correct the situation. I also had to use an adjustable guideplate to get the rockers to align on the valves.

Unless one is prepared to spend money to correct issues, your best bet is to purchase either the Vic Jrs, or any of the other popularly used heads.
 

Max Power

Active Member
Jul 31, 2003
1,774
1
36
St Paul
Jul 14, 2005
#8
  • Jul 14, 2005
  • #8
I heard that they had problems with cc accuracy from cylinder to cylinder as well. I also heard that they went under and partly owned by Racing Head Service in California.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Hinge Roller repair kit
  • Rdub6
  • Aug 5, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
121
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 5, 2026
gkomo
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
What's it Worth? 2000 GT
  • Mustang5L5
  • May 8, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
6
Views
413
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 13, 2026
KRUISR
Returning after 17 Years
  • sketman
  • Jun 20, 2025
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
7
Views
290
The Welcome Wagon Jun 20, 2025
nickyb
5
Hello Everyone !
  • 5150K
  • Jul 3, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
0
Views
132
The Welcome Wagon Jul 3, 2026
5150K
5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?