pulled heads and found plenty of oil in strange places

stock50LX

Curmudgeon
Founding Member
Oct 2, 2001
University Place, WA
After a week of attempting to track-down water bubbles in the radiator, loss of coolant, excessive smoke out of the tailpipes, and running abnormally warm, I decided to just pull the heads again. The head gaskets did not come-off in one neat peice as I am used to (some parts stuck to the deck other parts to the head), one valve stem seal had slipped off, there was much oil on the back-side of he valves (exept two exhaust valves that were clean?) and I had to wipe oil off the lower part of my upper intake (the intake gasket was in good shape and had not slipped)!!? The exhaust runners were oily too. All of this after a total of probably 2 hours of running time. I figure I'll have the heads milled flat and buy top quality head gaskets and new bolts as well as new valve guide seals. Any other suggestions? The engine did not smoke or use oil before I disassembled it three months ago. I ported the heads and had new valve seats put in. It's a 351. The smoking issues won't really be addressed by my plan but I am at a loss regarding what else to do.!?

• Sponsors (?)