push rod help

• Sponsors (?)

Hi, First thing you need is an adjustable Pushrod length checker to find the actual length you require. Even if another did the same combo, always check this. Length checkers are inexpensive, AM, Summit, C.J. all Stock them.
If you need a ballpark checker range, using #1 Cylinder on it’s Combustion Stroke (BOTH Valves Closed, Piston @ TDC, Timing mark on Harmonic balancer lines up w/0 Degree Timing mark). Just confirm you are on the Cam’s base circle, or heel- the Intake lobe is at Zero lift.
Drop a Rocker on a Stud and an old Pushrod into it’s lifter, hold/prop up the Rocker so the flat on the Rocker’s Body is level with the Valvespring Retainer, measure roughly the extra length you will need, don’t forget to add how far the Pushrod goes into the Rocker.
The checkers come in a few sizes, have an inch plus of adjustment- get one that has a midpoint adjustment near the rough overall length you came up with.
Many ideas on ascertaining correct length for proper geometry, one correct method I’ve used on many Ford 302/351 Motors, reliably..
-

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, First thing you need is an adjustable Pushrod length checker to find the actual length you require. Even if another did the same combo, always check this. Length checkers are inexpensive, AM, Summit, C.J. all Stock them.
If you need a ballpark checker range, using #1 Cylinder on it’s Combustion Stroke (BOTH Valves Closed, Piston @ TDC, Timing mark on Harmonic balancer lines up w/0 Degree Timing mark). Just confirm you are on the Cam’s base circle, or heel- the Intake lobe is at Zero lift.
Drop a Rocker on a Stud and an old Pushrod into it’s lifter, hold/prop up the Rocker so the flat on the Rocker’s Body is level with the Valvespring Retainer, measure roughly the extra length you will need, don’t forget to add how far the Pushrod goes into the Rocker.
The checkers come in a few sizes, have an inch plus of adjustment- get one that has a midpoint adjustment near the rough overall length you came up with.
Many ideas on ascertaining correct length for proper geometry, one correct method I’ve used on many Ford 302/351 Motors, reliably..
-
thank you for your help I appreciate it