Putting together an in-car tool kit + other necessary items

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I was in sears today and saw one of those long "under-seat" took boxes they carry. I got the idea to put together a little tool kit to keep in the car since i do some long highway drives alone, especially at night and since the car is my daily driver

So i filled it up with

18" breaker bar with 5" extension and 15/16" socket for lug nuts
tire plug tools and kit with 10 plugs + rubber cement
tire pressure gauge
2 spare wiper blades
razor knife
small reaching magnet
wheel lock key
permanent marker, pen, pencil
four boxes of matches in watertight bag w/material for kindling
bicycle hand pump (doubt it will fill a vehicle tire, but it might)
Misc wrenches sizes for battery termials
slotted and phillips screwdriver
flashlight
several rolls of electrical tape

not in the tool box i have
full size bullitt wheel in trunk as spare tire
normal vehicle jack and tire iron
set of jumper cables
10,000 candlepower halogen spotlight that plugs into cig lighter

What else is a good thing to have in case you get stranded on the road :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Yikes... Not a fan of weight reduction? :D
I took my spare out and jack, because when one of my 315s sprung a leak, the donut was a joke. With a donut on one side, and a 315 on the other, driving with the spool, and springs, was almost impossible. I just got an AAA card with towing.

I'd say a blanket, and a fire extinguisher, because there's no feeling like standing there helplessly, watching your car burn to the ground.

Shiroelex said:
Yikes... Not a fan of weight reduction? :D

To be honest, this little box of stuff weighs maybe 5 pounds. It's not heavy at all and has all my stuff in it.

The only thing that is heavy is the full-size spare, but i just swap in the normal spare tire when i go racing or the track or i'm staying local.

When i go on these 100+ mile cruises with my Mustang club, no way am i riding home on a donut.

I have the 13" front brakes anyway, so the stock 16" spare won't fit and i'd have to do the tire switcheroo to the rear first. Not really wanting to do that if i get a flat late at night

i suggest investing in a small 12V air compressor to inflate the tires since you have the tire repair kit in there. a jump box would be better than the jumper cables too. if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere, you never know who would stop to offer help, if anyone. best to be self reliant.

how about a one gallon gas can for emergencies?

alot depends on how far you plan to go. i have done numerous 500+ mile trips.

Ive got a small tool box with assorted sockets, screwdrivers, duct tape (haha), and some other stuff that might come in handy... and a fire extinguisher in the trunk. Some people ask why, but I dont really care... if theres a small chance I can keep my car from burning to the ground IF something happened, its worth the 7 bucks that thing costed me.

i have a belt changing kit in my trunk. you can never be too careful when it comes to safety stuff. during my batchelor party we were sitting at a stoplight and this girl pulled out and got slammed in the front passenger side of her car by an F150. her car caught on fire instantly. she didnt know it was burning (she was on her cell phone) me and my buddy who is a vol. fireman jumped out of his jeep with a fire extinguisher, i got her out of her car while he put the fire out. the car was still totaled but it didnt burn to the ground!
Aug19_0002.jpg

Aug19_0001.jpg

Attachments

• Aug19_0002.jpg
    Aug19_0002.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Aug19_0001.jpg
    Aug19_0001.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 77
I was thinking maybe some road flares, in case you break down at night? I also keep a quart of oil in my car, along with some spare bulbs. If you don't have it already, get AAA. I've used it countless times to help friends who locked their keys in their cars, flat tires, etc.

I keep a medium sized toolbox in my trunk all the time with a full socket set, wrenches and srewdrivers. I keep an extra belt under the spare tire also a can of fixaflat, a multi-tool in the console. I'll also take a jug of 50/50 antifreeze, a volt meter, my odbii scanner, my laptop for datalogging, and some duct tape if I'm going on a long trip

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing That I have found can come in VERY handy, is some cold Steel, or JB Weld.

Booze and a stripper? What if you have that you won't care how long yoru broke down.

Now for some advise.
Nothing to do a job you couldn't get done in about 30 minutes at home. And tools that you just leave in there.
Now some things I carry and love having in a car.
Jumper cables.
12v air compressor
multi meter
Screw drivers
4 way / or 12v impact
Pliers
good 1/4 ratchet and socket set. ( I carry a snapon 1/4)
flashlight
Mech gloves/ surgical gloves
waterless hand cleaner
tire repair kit
claw grabby thing
granola bars
water

now in the jeep
all that plus a 30' ****** rope
Work gloves

I try to keep everything in a duffel bag. Makes it easy to just toss in and go.