Pypes exhaust. Why no 94-97 V6 systems, but they have 98 - 04? wtf

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
Ok, forget the GT takeoff. I am looking for an H or X-pipe for my 96. I checked on Pypes Performance Exhaust and they have X pipes for 98-04 V6, but absolutely none for 94-97 V6's. What gives man? Will the 98-04 x pipes fit the 94-97? Anyone verified this? I want some friggin exhaust... and not the dumb Y-pipe. Offroad would be nice.

• Sponsors (?)

The 96-03 are the same except for the hangers. The 04's rear o2's are located in a different area. The 98-04 kit by pypes will work on your 96. The pypes X-pipe doesn't come with hangers according to the pictures I've seen of them. Also the rear tailpipe hangers are different on the 98-04's. You can buy the hangers from late model restoration.

The 96-03 are the same except for the hangers. The 04's rear o2's are located in a different area. The 98-04 kit by pypes will work on your 96. The pypes X-pipe doesn't come with hangers according to the pictures I've seen of them. Also the rear tailpipe hangers are different on the 98-04's. You can buy the hangers from late model restoration.

The crossmember humps on a 94-97 are much closer together than the 99-04. The V6 X-pipe does not clear the crossmember. The crossmember is not intrechangeable on the earlier models. That is why it listed as 98-04 only.

The crossmember humps on a 94-97 are much closer together than the 99-04. The V6 X-pipe does not clear the crossmember. The crossmember is not intrechangeable on the earlier models. That is why it listed as 98-04 only.

I don't suppose you guys got any plans to make one for 94-97 models? Or even an H-pipe? I like the quality of the stainless. It beats that crappy alumnized stuff and lasts for a long time. My stock exhaust is still in good condition, except for the blown out cats. This is why I would prefer a pipe without the cats. The high price they come with.

I don't suppose you guys got any plans to make one for 94-97 models? Or even an H-pipe? I like the quality of the stainless. It beats that crappy alumnized stuff and lasts for a long time. My stock exhaust is still in good condition, except for the blown out cats. This is why I would prefer a pipe without the cats. The high price they come with.
no plans to do the earlier one at this time. However, if all you have is bad cats, we have cat delete pipes that you could replace the cats with potentially. The stainless pipes are 11" long. You'll also need two stainless band clamps or they will need to be welded. $40.

That sounds like a good plan. I have a couple small holes in 2 of my cats. After the cats blown out, I had some rattling coming from 2 of them. It was annoying as hell. So , like a dumbass, I drilled a couple holes in them and tried fishing whatever was loose to come free. I have been unsucessful at sealing the holes, as the stuff just ends up coming off from minor backfires. The exhaust leak is making me gag.

Please consider having your team look into a kit for the 94-97 V6 sometime. There are tons of owners out there that are interested in doing the same as I. It seems no one else carries any sort of off road or even catted H/X pipe for the 94-97 V6. MAC exhaust used to carry an H-pipe (alumnized) but no longer sell it. It's hard to find, but a few stragler H-pipes can be found on Ebay or Craigslist. It's either that, or resort to the GT takeoff pipes. And even that requires pipes to be cut to make them fit properly on a 6. A simple bolt on kit would really help.

Thanks for your replies. They are appreciated.