Question about 85/86 notchback rareity?

every time i'm reminded of this subject of a notchback, i think about the 93 notchback in dark blue that i purchased new because i wanted a car like the model the chp drove. it was an lx, 5.0, with a 5 speed trans and i forget what rear end gears it had but it wasn't the 3:08s. the car was in mint condition, basically stock with about 60k and never crashed when i stupidly decided to sell it to one of my long time school friends who had been bugging me for years, for $6k in about the early 2000s. the most sickening part of this story is that after owning the car for about two months, that jackass allowed it to be stolen by parking it outside his house in sf one night. all that was recovered about a month later was just the shell and it was found dumped out in streets one night in a low life part of town.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Count me in as a 4 eyed coup owner. I have an '86 Notch that was set up for Factory Stock years ago. I pulled it out of storage after sitting for 8 years and after draining the gas, it fired right up.

I may be in the market of selling it, as I am getting older now.

Count me in as a 4 eyed coup owner. I have an '86 Notch that was set up for Factory Stock years ago. I pulled it out of storage after sitting for 8 years and after draining the gas, it fired right up.

I may be in the market of selling it, as I am getting older now.

Don't do it! :fuss:

And post pics! :fuss:

Reactions: 1 user
Here’s another source. Unsure how accurate any of these numbers are

But if you break it down by 5.0 coupes, the numbers are MUCH less. According to this link, of the 57000 coupes made in 1985, less than 3000 were v8s

if you really want accuracy, you’ll need a Marti report. I compared the marti report of my car to this source, and it was spot on

That's a beautiful '85 coupe. Great score!

Great source Mike, Thanks for posting, I've never seen this breakdown by color & V8. I've always wondered

I've only seen 1 other 1LE silver 1984 coupe, this says that Ford only made 67, which would be the reason why. It makes me wonder how many of those 67 had the T-top conversion? I need to order a Marti report.

There were 38,000 coupes made in 1984. Not rare, although unknown how many are Mexican exports.

1984 has cosmetic differences vs the 85/85 body. The nose being the major difference. 79-84 went through a few changes as Ford was trying to find the right look for the early Fox. 85-86, other than the addition of the 3rd brake light in 1986, were the same look, and very popular
Mustang5L5 No Mustangs were exported from the US to Mexico.

The Mexican cars were made in Mexico with Mexican parts which is why it is a very different car and not included in the US numbers.

@limp, '66 SS396s were one of my favorite cars back in the day, and I always felt the '67 was a little less attractive than the '66, but either would be fine.

Bill
From what I recall the only big difference are the 67 tail lights that wrap around the sides a small amount... Other than that not much difference...
I grew up with chevys, one of the reasons I ask so many questions on here about my mustang.....

From what I recall the only big difference are the 67 tail lights that wrap around the sides a small amount... Other than that not much difference...
I grew up with chevys, one of the reasons I ask so many questions on here about my mustang.....
There are differences both front and rear. The taillights on the '67 are visible from the side, while they're not visible from the side on a '66. On the front the '67 fender covers the edge of the grille, while on the '66 a portion of the grille is visible from the side.

Bill

Attachments

• 1967-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-8.jpeg
    1967-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-8.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 40
  • 1966-Chevrolet-Chevelle-Hot Rods & Customs--Car-101546785-6536c266df717842b52327525ac63cab.jpeg
    1966-Chevrolet-Chevelle-Hot Rods & Customs--Car-101546785-6536c266df717842b52327525ac63cab.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: 1 users