Question about switching side exhaust to rear

97woodward

Feb 25, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey everyone, My car is in the shop right now getting my side exhaust cut off and being replaced with rear exhaust. My mechanic looked at it and said that one of the previous owners completely put it on wrong and that it needs alot of work. The shop i take it to is one of the best Mustang shops in the mid west and he told me not to even attempt to get the side exhaust replaced as it will just be extremely costly (given its current condition) and will be less quality than if I went the rear exhaust route. He ran into this problem while installing my new Bullitt suspension and MM RLCA's. The sway bars were resting on the side exhaust due to a shoddy installation from a previous owner.

So my question is where could I find the original OEM side rocker panels for my 97 GT? Reason I ask is that once my car is returned to me it will still have the side exhaust side panels that have the large exit hole for the exhaust tip. I am going to need to remove them and replace with the originals. Anyone know of a site or link that could be posted for me to find these? Any help appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

you might be able to trade with someone who wants side exhaust. Those panels are tough to find and if you found someone with the same color car as yours it may be an even trade.

Sway bars were hitting the side exhaust pipes? Must be some extensive snaking back to the front of the car to go back far enough to hit the sway bar. I say just make a true side exhaust set-up - mid-pipe directly to muffler then a gradual bend out to the side. Although your mufflers might be too long for that

Picture096-1.jpg