• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Question about wheel spacers

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTA_V6_Mustang
  • Start date Start date Aug 20, 2009

GTA_V6_Mustang

Active Member
Nov 29, 2004
1,326
3
39
Miami, FL
Aug 20, 2009
#1
  • Aug 20, 2009
  • #1
Ok well I was wondering what would be the thickest possible spacer I could use on the rear wheels of my stang. I want to get the rear wheels to stick out a bit more but feel these shim style spacers would be slightly better because I think I could brake the other style that bolts in and then the wheel goes bolted to that, on a launch with the stickys. Anyone got any input?
 

whitesqual

Active Member
Sep 3, 2008
235
1
28
Coeur D'alene, ID
Aug 20, 2009
#2
  • Aug 20, 2009
  • #2
how about these
Universal 1.25" Wheel Spacers 5X4.5 Bolt Pattern,Metric Threads. Pair. Lug Nuts Required For Installation at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
 

GTA_V6_Mustang

Active Member
Nov 29, 2004
1,326
3
39
Miami, FL
Aug 20, 2009
#3
  • Aug 20, 2009
  • #3
i was thinking more along the lines of something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAIR...ies?hash=item45ed5c69a1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

because i think i would break the one you showed me. FYI there not going on my teal stang there going on my red demon that was built to take a high rpm launch on a super sticky tire.
 

whitesqual

Active Member
Sep 3, 2008
235
1
28
Coeur D'alene, ID
Aug 20, 2009
#4
  • Aug 20, 2009
  • #4
sorry, guess I should learn to read the whole post before I respond!
 

GTA_V6_Mustang

Active Member
Nov 29, 2004
1,326
3
39
Miami, FL
Aug 20, 2009
#5
  • Aug 20, 2009
  • #5
whitesqual said:
sorry, guess I should learn to read the whole post before I respond!
Click to expand...

No dude thats ok, I appreciate the response, lol. Keeps me entertained writing more stuff, I am really bored, lol.
 

whitesqual

Active Member
Sep 3, 2008
235
1
28
Coeur D'alene, ID
Aug 20, 2009
#6
  • Aug 20, 2009
  • #6
so how much power does the Red Demon Have? There are a lot of peeps using spacers similar to the ones i posted on 300-400 horse cars.
 

TrueBlue95GT

Member
Sep 29, 2003
966
0
16
Connecticut
Aug 21, 2009
#7
  • Aug 21, 2009
  • #7
Do you have the original studs in the rear? If so, get the moroso 3" long studs and you should be fine. Why would you want to keep the spacers on at the dragstrip anyway?
 

YEAHLOH95

Founding Member
Nov 19, 2001
1,249
3
39
EVERETT,PA
Aug 21, 2009
#8
  • Aug 21, 2009
  • #8
i ran 11.5 at 121 with my 1.25 spacers that bolted on with no problems i am close to 500 at the wheels i would not just go with shim style unless you only want 1/4 inch
 

GTA_V6_Mustang

Active Member
Nov 29, 2004
1,326
3
39
Miami, FL
Aug 21, 2009
#9
  • Aug 21, 2009
  • #9
trueblue, good point, lol.

and yealoh thats good to know. Mine puts out around 400lbs torque to the wheels and I just wanted to make sure I would break a spacer but from what you tell me they can hold a good amount, lol. Also all I want is about a 1/4 in lol because I am trying to make the rear wheels sit just a smidget further out. So what mm thickness shim do you think I could use without a problem?
 

StadEMS3

20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 19, 2003
228
43
49
Mechanicsville, MD
Aug 22, 2009
#10
  • Aug 22, 2009
  • #10
I have 1" spacers on the rear and 1/4" spacer on the front. I don't recommend univeral spacers. I've allways been told to use hub-centric spacers.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,325
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Aug 22, 2009
#11
  • Aug 22, 2009
  • #11
The shim spacers are the worst and most dangerous. I won't bore you with the details of why the shim spacers are more dangerous than bolt on spacers but it has to do with increasing leverage by moving the force (wheel) father away from the fulcrum (where the stud protrudes from the axle flange)


If you are going to run any sort of spacer, the hubcentric bolt ons are the strongest to use. At a minimum make sure you upgrade the studs on your axles as well. The bolt on spacers put the force as close as possible to the fulcrum making it harder to snap the stud.
 

Black Stampede

Founding Member
Sep 3, 2002
1,811
2
39
Grand Rapids, MI
Aug 22, 2009
#12
  • Aug 22, 2009
  • #12
H&Rs are the some of the best spacers you can get. I have had mine for about 6 years and they are very nice.
 

Chern_889

New Member
Oct 22, 2006
86
0
0
Lumsden, Saskatchewan
Aug 22, 2009
#13
  • Aug 22, 2009
  • #13
Black Stampede said:
H&Rs are the some of the best spacers you can get. I have had mine for about 6 years and they are very nice.
Click to expand...

+1

Ive ran mine for 4 years, zero problems
 

GTA_V6_Mustang

Active Member
Nov 29, 2004
1,326
3
39
Miami, FL
Aug 24, 2009
#14
  • Aug 24, 2009
  • #14
Sounds good. Because On the teal one I have the 03 cobra wheels and they sit nice and flush with the wheel well. But on the red one I have chrome tri-bars which are actually very nice but they sit tucked in to the wheel well more then I would like. I will have to take a picture to show you guys. I would like it to sit as nicely as the teal one. Any ideas on what spacer and how much of a space I might need?
 

95BlueStallion

My assy trans to myself
15 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
5,129
3,100
214
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Aug 24, 2009
#15
  • Aug 24, 2009
  • #15
When I was rocking my tribars, I used a 1" hub centric spacer, and it stuck my 275's right at the edge of the rear fender. I had 255's up front with no spacer and it looked pretty even. You would definitely have to get longer studs installed to use anything bigger than a 3/8" shim style spacer. I dont know that you can find anything thicker than 3/8 in a shim style anyway. Might get made fun of, but I used ebay billet aluminum spacers and never had a bit of vibration or any other problem with them. I wouldnt use them on a 400 hp car I guess though, as they have no real proven track record.
 

GTA_V6_Mustang

Active Member
Nov 29, 2004
1,326
3
39
Miami, FL
Sep 16, 2009
#16
  • Sep 16, 2009
  • #16
Can someone recomend a good set of 1 or 1.25 inch spacers that would bolt on with no problems?
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Sep 16, 2009
#17
  • Sep 16, 2009
  • #17
Just a note, in order to put 3" Moroso studs in, you have to pull the axles out. There isn't enough room to slip them in through the back.

Kurt
 

Chern_889

New Member
Oct 22, 2006
86
0
0
Lumsden, Saskatchewan
Sep 16, 2009
#18
  • Sep 16, 2009
  • #18
GTA_V6_Mustang said:
Can someone recomend a good set of 1 or 1.25 inch spacers that would bolt on with no problems?
Click to expand...

H&R 1-inch is what i run, pull off wheel, bolt on spacer with supplied hardware, put on wheel. Easy to install,very quality, and change the stance of the car for the better
 

GTA_V6_Mustang

Active Member
Nov 29, 2004
1,326
3
39
Miami, FL
Oct 22, 2009
#19
  • Oct 22, 2009
  • #19
95BlueStallion said:
When I was rocking my tribars, I used a 1" hub centric spacer, and it stuck my 275's right at the edge of the rear fender. I had 255's up front with no spacer and it looked pretty even. You would definitely have to get longer studs installed to use anything bigger than a 3/8" shim style spacer. I dont know that you can find anything thicker than 3/8 in a shim style anyway. Might get made fun of, but I used ebay billet aluminum spacers and never had a bit of vibration or any other problem with them. I wouldnt use them on a 400 hp car I guess though, as they have no real proven track record.
Click to expand...

Dude awesome idea, I put the 1" spacers/adapters in the rear with my chrome tribars and it sits real nice now. I really got to post some pictures of it now. I plan on putting some drag radials on it this weekend and taking it to the track. You guys think I should just remove the wheels adapters for the track or will it be fine. I have gotten so acustomed to looking at it with the spacers. I dont think I really want to see it with them taken off again, lol.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Wheels-Tires Need Some Help - Brakes Upgrade/Wheel fitment
  • jaygee15
  • Dec 8, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 3 4 5
Replies
81
Views
3K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 6, 2026
AeroCoupe
Rear Disc and Rims Offsets
  • TripleYellow
  • Nov 11, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
19
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 9, 2026
TripleYellow
G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
179
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
H
Strange steering/brake issue
  • Haxmaster
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
140
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 3, 2026
squeak93
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
831
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?