question for reenmachine

67scooter

Feb 19, 2006
ohio
Have you ever had any problems a car after you take it off the rotisserie? I ask this because I also posted this question about the rotisserie on another web site and a guy who was a body man for a good number of years said that you shouldn't move the car at all when it's on a rotisserie. He said even a inch incline could bend the frame and cause twisting that would mess up your car. I seen on Overhauling with Chip Foose that they shipped a mustang on a rotisserie to get the body done and I'm thinking you connect the rotisserie to the frame , so why would this twist or make the car sag when you move it around? I'm asking you because you said you had your car on one on a trailer for two plus hours and I though if anybody knew , you would. Thank Scott:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't see any problem with it as long as the car is secured properly and is transported level. The loads it experiences this way aren't that different than it sees when it drives down the road on its own wheels. I have the car well supported on the front and rear frame rails and very securely bolted on. I am totally comfortable with it.

There is no way that an inch incline could affect the car. There is barely any difference in the loading on the car. Now, I could see how bouncing down the freeway could affect things if you have a substandard, super-flexible rotisserie that would allow the front and rear to move independently from one another, and then only maybe.

Like anything, you can always find a way to make it screw up your car if you try hard enough. I regularly use a 3-lb. mini sledge hammer to great effect when working on cars, and frankly it's one of my most useful tools. However, hitting the car square in the hood with it would do significant damage. If you use your head and a good rotisserie, you'll be totally fine.

If you have a convertible, use door bars for reinforcement for sure though.

P.S. In the future, PM or email me as I don't always have time to scan the forums.

In the first place, do not use Overhauling as an example of anything you would do in the real world! They do a lot of things that you never see on TV. For example they may have put in extra supports before transporting the car.
In the second place Mustangs do not have frames!!! They are a unibody design where the strength of the car comes from the body, not a frame. I could see being concerned with abusing the body of a frame car while the body was on the rotisserie. With a unibody car there would be less concern, but the comment about special precautions with a convertible is valid.