Quieter Mufflers for Supercharged 5.0

oz

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
Plymouth, MI
Greetings,
I have a '91 GT with a blown (Paxton/Novi 1220 SL) w/ a lot of go fast parts, including equal length Mac shorty headers, A MAC off-road H pipe, MAC mufflers and tail pipes... It's rev limited to 5100 and makes 488 hp there (stock bottom end so rev limited to keep it from 'expiring').
The problem is that when I get on it the sound it makes is just not acceptable. The volume is way too high and the actual sound is offensive. It's kind of a cracking sound... not a nice roar if you will...
Anyway, I plan to cut out the MAC mufflers and replace them - but I don't know what to replace them with... I don't want to restrict flow, but need to reduce the volume and, hopefully, make the sound a little nicer...
SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, set up aftermarket ignition with a lower RPM limit... I just checked and I shut it down at 5500....
Since the stock bottom end is 'only good for 400 hp' per most people, I figured I'd try to keep it together by limiting the revs (and therefore the boost & HP)... if the day comes I blow it up, I'll do it up right with a stout aftermarket shortblock and set the beast loose. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Audio/video of the current sound you're talking about? And what exactly are you looking for - like almost stock quiet or "loud" without being obnoxious?

Assuming everything else is in good order, I'd try a pair of Flowmaster 50s. Kind of an apples to oranges comparison but I have a single in/dual out on my Ram and think it sounds great.

View: https://youtu.be/FAZs9S0FKE8

I just went through this and from what I can find Walker quiet flow mufflers are about the quietest I could find.... All of these aftermarket mufflers are NOISY RUDE sounding to this " old " man......
Are you running any cats or other types of glass packs in your car?

No cats... off-road H-pipe behind equal length shorties.
You might need to do some resonators inline too... Depends on what your version of quieter is....
Problem with trying to quiet a Fox body exhaust systems is there is no room for a very large muffler at least in MY opinion...

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
You can just get (2) Walker 15053 universal cats for about $200 and have them installed in your existing H-pipe. That is what I did on one of my BBK x-pipes to pass inspection in Texas. Exhaust was 1-5/8" equal length shorties, 2-1/2" x-pipe, 2-1/2" cat back with Flowmaster 42's. It was pretty loud without the cats and they did quiet it up a bit.

Hooker aero chambers if you want mild / quiet. but with what holleys been doing won't be long before they get discontinued. Alot of mufflers now are all the same China made stuff with different branding since flowmaster and other brand patent expired. Never heard any call Macs crackling though, chambers are probably rotted out if there not the stainless version.