Quietest Free Flowing Muffler

BelueLX

Founding Member
Jul 10, 1999
I have Flowmaster 2-chambers with turndowns right at my rear axle (along with a Mac Off-Road h-pipe) and every time my girlfriend rides in the car with me she says "your car is too loud its giving me a headache." We dont ride in it often but I would like to make it quieter for that reason and also to attract less attention from local law enforcement (the bad kind of attention). What is a good quiet muffler that offers little or no restriction? Thanks,

Cody B

• Sponsors (?)

AXIStang said:
I have Flowmaster 2-chambers with turndowns right at my rear axle (along with a Mac Off-Road h-pipe) and every time my girlfriend rides in the car with me she says "your car is too loud its giving me a headache." We dont ride in it often but I would like to make it quieter for that reason and also to attract less attention from local law enforcement (the bad kind of attention). What is a good quiet muffler that offers little or no restriction? Thanks,

Cody B
I switched from 2 chamber Flows to Dynomax Super Turbos and picked up 5 RWHP and 4 ft lbs. Also they are much quieter.
I was just looking for quieter when I got them but the extra HP was just a bonus. :D

sleeper - can you tell me exactly which Dynomax superturbos you used (part numbers or size/configuration)? Also, the power numbers you quote - no other changes were made at the same time? Was the power pickup only at peak? What happened at other parts of the curves? thanks...

Michael Yount said:
sleeper - can you tell me exactly which Dynomax superturbos you used (part numbers or size/configuration)? Also, the power numbers you quote - no other changes were made at the same time? Was the power pickup only at peak? What happened at other parts of the curves? thanks...
I don't know the part numbers but they were 2 1/2 inch inlet and outlet. That was all that was done. No other changes were made. The flows were really old though. I think some of the baffles might have been rusted out. The power was at peak (4900) and the torque was at (3200) but stayed through the entire RPM range.

My girl got pissed when I had to take out my B-cam, she says my car sounds too plain, I guess I lucked out. Anyways back to the original question Go with a muff. that has a baffling to it Dyna max super turbos are good, I don't know if you have cats on or not but they calm it down too, go with a set of high flows though. Definately on of the biggest contributers are coming from the turn downs, the make the exhaust noise resonate through the cab, and you get alot of exhaust smell. Go with tails first, then go to others after seeing how it changes. my 2cents

jaidedeye said:
dynomax race bullets with tails...nice and quiet while cruising, free flowing and powerful sound wide open and zero drone in the car.....and cheap!!!!!

I thought the race bullets were just flat-out loud :shrug: ...or am I thinking of something else...

89sleeper - What were the temps and humidity the days you dynoed? That is interesting...

Based on all the comments (like above) about Magnaflows, I added one to my single system to quiet it down. Mine runs into a single 3" system aft of the head pipes. It's a 3" in/out centered outlets 18" long case in front of the axle running into another muffler (Spin Tech) behind the axle. The Magnaflow was MUCH louder than the SpinTech resonator I had in the same location before. It's way too loud - I'm back looking for mufflers again.

Just goes to show - you have to really compare apples to apples to know the outcome of these things. I was very disappointed in the ability of the Magnaflow to quiet things down in my application. It did virtually nothing.

According to GNN60GT500, the resident stangnet Magnaflow rep. He says that Magnaflow mufflers are not universal and they are specifically designed for sound and power on each application. This could be a reason why you arent getting your apples & apples comparison.