Radar Detectors

I dunno but i have the K 40 built in radar with laser diffuser i love it. tells you if the cop's ahead or behind you! no dumb unit hanging off the window. works good for me. But when the cops use instant on all the radar is telling you, is YOU JUST GOT BUSTED.

• Sponsors (?)

Joes95GT said:
Robbie,

Do you know if any of the East Coast NC cops use the laser setup or if they're all still in radar? I'll be coming down Rt. 13 to the Bay Bridge and down into Carolina that way.

Joe

I have your awnser buddy, I live in Eastern North Carolina and travel to the coast frequently. For the most part traffic runs 70 mph on ALL highways leading to the banks, but there is the occasional state trooper or local yocal along the way, but almost ALL cops in eastern NC are using K band radar, I have never been hit by a laser or Ka in Eastern NC, only K. hope this helps.

donjohn said:
that second cop car is crazy... who the heck would think that's a cop car

us here in NC, ive gotten used to it and usually slow down when i see a dark camaro around. oh, and those camaros are the LS1s, not v6. hahaha I have a buddy though that didnt see that it was state trooper until after he revved the motor trying to race hahahha :rlaugh: he got :owned:

Striped5.0 said:
I just fine it funny when people put alot of faith in radar dectors b/c nothing is 100% effective from getting pulled over more then just going the speed limit.

#1. Spend $200( or more) on a decent radar dector

#2. End up getting a nice $100 + ticket.

#3. Paying for the increased Insurance rates b/c if it.

Now if thats not total ownage I dont know what is. Dosent make saving that 15 extra mins by speeding worth it awhole lot after that.

if you actually pay it like a retard, both tickets i have recieved, I have hired a lawyer to get it dismissed or dropped to a non-moving violation like improper equipment or some bs like that. and it is well worth it too, because you dont have to pay insurance points.

Southern94Cobra said:
My boss got put in jail for going 22mph over here in TN by a trooper. What sucks even more than that was he was trying to make it to his sons graduation. He missed the whole thing!

damn, went to jail, thats harsh, my ticket was for 22 over the limit and thats all i got, a ticket! well, plus a mandatory court appearance, but other than that no jail!

1994Vib.RedGT said:
if you actually pay it like a retard, both tickets i have recieved, I have hired a lawyer to get it dismissed or dropped to a non-moving violation like improper equipment or some bs like that. and it is well worth it too, because you dont have to pay insurance points.

so from your point of view its worth speeding b/c you know for a fact that you can get out of it every time??

One of the guys I work w/ is also a part time cop and I got talking to him today about radar dectors and he just laughed. He said when they radar people they just sit there w/ it on " STAND BY MODE" which means its on but not omitting any radar until the flick the switch and the beam shoots out. By the time your dector starts beeping your speed has been desplayed on their radar.....busted.

IMO Radar dectors are not worth crap.

S/CBlack95GT said:
Down here in Florida 30mph over will cost you $310.50. :notnice:

30mph over here will usually get you a trip to the magistrate and not only will you walk away with a speeding ticket you will also walk away with one for reckless driving as well. The funny thing is I have actually had people tell me that there was no way that I clocked them since their radar detector never went off and then went to court and tried to use that as a defense to get out of the ticket.

S/CBlack95GT said:
You dont even have to do 30 over to be considered criminal here. You can be doing 15 over, but if you are changing lanes in and out of traffic you can be charged with reckless driving. The officer just has to prove why he thought you were driving reckless.

Well up here reckless driving and crimminal speeding are 2 diffrent things. You can be going only 10MPH over the speed limit but still be nailed w/ reckless driving. Same as where you are I would imagine.

I stopped getting tickets once I got rid of my radar detector. :) No kidding! In Mississippi and Louisiana, I had gotten several tickets while driving in the middle of nowhere. A couple were actually given to me while I was on cruise control at about 1 mph over the limit, but the cops both stated me at 11 over. Niether would let me see the readout and were pretty pissed about me having a detector and not "believing" them. Frankly, they were very short with me and full of attitude. What crap! Too bad I didn't live anywhere near those locations. Ironically, Mississippi requires auto insurance, but less than 40% of drivers has insurance (you'd think they'd be check for that, but no). I'm not sure how you can combat tickets like those two.........probably just a set of unfortunate circumstances that isn't common.

I live in the Atlanta area now and regularly do 20+ mph over the limit. Why, you ask, do I go so fast? Well, the average speed on Atlanta's 4 interstates are just that fast. In fact, you'd probably get killed if you tried to drive 55 in any lane, because most of our interstates are anywhere from 6 to 12 lanes total. Ironically, I drive faster now "legally" than what was posted on any of my previous tickets. I haven't gotten a single ticket since I moved to Georgia, but then again, traffic moves quick enough. Just don't stick out and go with the flow, or else cops will easily peg you and hand you a ticket. In Atlanta, you won't get a ticket unless you doing 80+ and changing lanes frequently OR if you are simply doing 90+. Speed limits are all 55 here, too, until you get out of town, then it's 70.

Once, I almost called the cops on two cops in my area, but didn't have my cell phone and frankly couldn't keep up with them. These two cops were using the local road and the stoplights as their personal dragstrip. Yes, smoking the tires and gunning at each light. At the third light, they slowed for the red light to make sure no one was coming through and they proceeded through the red light. I sat their stunned and wondered what I would/should have done if they ended up behind me. What a waste of my tax money. I'm sure those two guys will kill themselves or someone else eventually or better yet, make an ass out of themselves by getting caught by the local media and then face jail time. Back to topic.

I don't condone speeding anymore or getting tickets. :)