• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Radiator Fan

  • Thread starter Thread starter AP1995V6
  • Start date Start date Jun 9, 2007
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last

AP1995V6

Member
Jul 13, 2003
547
1
16
Oxford, MS
Jun 9, 2007
#1
  • Jun 9, 2007
  • #1
What are some good aftermarket fans or are oem best? I don't really need one that can cool the sun... unless its only a few bucks more

My fan went out this evening in smoking glory. I had it off a few days ago, and I think someone may have stepped on it jamming the fan thus causing the motor to burn out. Smelled terrible.
 

badstang123

New Member
Jan 17, 2006
397
0
0
Santa Clarita, CA
Jun 10, 2007
#2
  • Jun 10, 2007
  • #2
The OEM fan moves quite a bit of CFM. I don't know that there are too many fans that you would gain that much by switching too. If you replace just the motor and not the blades and shroud, it's not all that expensive for a replacement either. That is what I did when mine went out.

I think I have heard of some people switching to the fan off Viper's but I'm not sure. Hopefully others will chime in and give some input.
- Justin
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Jun 10, 2007
#3
  • Jun 10, 2007
  • #3
Justin is right-on. A replacement motor works well for many. The one thing to check: some replacement motors are only one speed. WTF.

The Viper fan is out-friggin-standing but is also some coin.

If you dont want to reuse your fan, dont want another one (from the J/Y, etc) and need something comparable, you could install a fan from a 3.8L Taurus.

Good luck.
 

AP1995V6

Member
Jul 13, 2003
547
1
16
Oxford, MS
Jun 10, 2007
#4
  • Jun 10, 2007
  • #4
I figured Ford would gouge customers by not making the motor available seperately.

Thanks
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Jun 10, 2007
#5
  • Jun 10, 2007
  • #5
As I recall, it's actually a Siemens (a Tier One company) motor. You can just grab 'em up from AZ, Napa, et al.
 

AP1995V6

Member
Jul 13, 2003
547
1
16
Oxford, MS
Jun 11, 2007
#6
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #6
Man, I bet using AZ or napa would've paid off. I just forked out $275 for a new shroud from the dealer which apparently doesn't carry the motor seperately
 

Guero

Active Member
Oct 11, 2005
2,148
0
47
Jun 11, 2007
#7
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #7
Can you return it???
 

AP1995V6

Member
Jul 13, 2003
547
1
16
Oxford, MS
Jun 11, 2007
#8
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #8
I didn't look at the receipt. I was pretty steamed when I left the place.

I'm not sure if the fan blade is busted or if its just the motor. Would age make a motor burn out (like the smoke described above)? I figured it was working against a jammed blade.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Jun 11, 2007
#9
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #9
Motors do wear out.

I'd really call to see if you can get a refund.

For that kind of cash, you can get a Dc Controller and a new 3.8L Taurus fan, Mark VIII fan, Viper fan, etc.

I don't say that to be a jerk - I hate to see someone pay more for something than they have to, especially when you can get so much more. And if not, that fan better do well for ya.



Good luck bud.
 

AP1995V6

Member
Jul 13, 2003
547
1
16
Oxford, MS
Jun 11, 2007
#10
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #10
Yeah. I was really only opening to spend about 80 for a motor. For $300 I could've gotten a really nice set up -- definitely more than I would've needed anyway. I had them set up the order over the phone thinking the prices would've been comparable to what I saw online. Then I **** in my pants when I got up there and saw the invoice.


It's cool. I'd rather not be spending $275 for something that would be much cheaper. Or if the $275 could be spent on something of better performance.
 

Guero

Active Member
Oct 11, 2005
2,148
0
47
Jun 11, 2007
#11
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #11
Hey hissin why a 3.8 Taurus fan??? Is it better than ous?
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Jun 11, 2007
#12
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #12
Guero said:
Hey hissin why a 3.8 Taurus fan??? Is it better than ous?
Click to expand...

The fan is very comparable to ours but without all the shorting-out BS we have to deal with.

If someone has a universal radiator where they had to modify our SN95 fan to fit anyhow, retrofitting a 3.8L Taurus fan is not a big deal. But if someone uses an "OEM style" radiator (an actual OEM radiator, the expensive plug-and-lay Fluidyne, etc) then it doesnt make as much sense to retrofit a fan when the OEM one fits.
 

S351Saleen77

Member
Jun 27, 2002
423
0
16
Washington
Jun 11, 2007
#13
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #13
HISSIN50 said:
Justin is right-on. A replacement motor works well for many. The one thing to check: some replacement motors are only one speed. WTF.

The Viper fan is out-friggin-standing but is also some coin.

If you dont want to reuse your fan, dont want another one (from the J/Y, etc) and need something comparable, you could install a fan from a 3.8L Taurus.

Good luck.
Click to expand...

Hissin50,

So will a Viper fan fit our shroud and be a direct bolt on?

What is the deal with the recall on our fan or fan wiring?...i remember getting something from Ford but never took my car in....a fuse to keep it from smoking the wiring? I have heard where people have had problems after the recall, Is this something I should be concerned with? Is there a fix I can do myself?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Jun 11, 2007
#14
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #14
S351Saleen77 said:
Hissin50,

So will a Viper fan fit our shroud and be a direct bolt on?

What is the deal with the recall on our fan or fan wiring?...i remember getting something from Ford but never took my car in....a fuse to keep it from smoking the wiring? I have heard where people have had problems after the recall, Is this something I should be concerned with? Is there a fix I can do myself?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Click to expand...

It's not the motor we're swapping - it's the entire fan assembly.

I have a 3.8L Taurus fan (motor and shroud) sitting in the garage if anyone wants info on it. I cant access my SN95 motor to compare motors, etc. The Taurus fan does have nice wiring (gauge) and a nice connector (a nice contrast to our wiring).

The recall involved installing a circuit breaker on the high speed wire terminal. When the fan was working hard and started to short out, it would blow the breaker instead.

Installing a new fan pigtail might be a solution (new pigtails are 20 bucks).
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Jun 11, 2007
#15
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #15
Here's info about the Viper fan (with pics!) from Ponyboy19.

Hotness!
 

AP1995V6

Member
Jul 13, 2003
547
1
16
Oxford, MS
Jun 11, 2007
#16
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #16
Good god. 4,000 cfm on high. If I had that thing set up to run on high at all times, my engine would probably never heat up beyond air temperature.


Paying an extra $70 for something that badass ($80 for a replacement motor for mine) would be well worth it. I hate messing with wires though.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Jun 11, 2007
#17
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #17
AP1995V6 said:
Good god. 4,000 cfm on high. If I had that thing set up to run on high at all times, my engine would probably never heat up beyond air temperature.


Paying an extra $70 for something that badass ($80 for a replacement motor for mine) would be well worth it. I hate messing with wires though.
Click to expand...

Wiring up a fan is not hard at all. Most all of these modern fans are like ours - low, high and a ground wire. That's it.
If you go with a Dc Controller (Ponyboy19 now runs one with that fan, and I run one with the SN95 fan) makes it super simple to wire.
Don't be afraid of the wiring if you ever want to upgrade (the Dc Controller was one of the best upgrades I've done to the 94). Brian's (DcControl owner) instructions are super simple to follow and he or we can help with any wiring concerns you might have.

Otherwise, retrofitting a fan to work with the OEM relays or to use a stand-alone controller (slightly cheaper than a DcController) is not hard at all.
 

urban96

bubb rubb says:"woo woooooo"
Founding Member
Sep 24, 2002
3,464
1
69
Syracuse, NY
Jun 11, 2007
#18
  • Jun 11, 2007
  • #18
+1 for an aftermarket fan controller

spal here tho
 

S351Saleen77

Member
Jun 27, 2002
423
0
16
Washington
Jun 12, 2007
#19
  • Jun 12, 2007
  • #19
So the Viper fan is 3k and 4k cfm. How much our our stock fans on High and low?
 

AP1995V6

Member
Jul 13, 2003
547
1
16
Oxford, MS
Jun 12, 2007
#20
  • Jun 12, 2007
  • #20
Well, Ford refunded my money, and I went the $70 route since I need a working fan immediately since I do alot of driving around town. It's much more comfortable not having to turn the heat all the way up to prevent my car from overheating

It's strange though. I needed the earlier model motor (12/94) rather than the later model (1/95) eventhough my car is 5/95. It's also only 1 speed. I never paid attention to the fact that there's only one hot wire.

So yeah. I see a fan upgrade in the near future.
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Contour fan CFM
  • Mustang5L5
  • Apr 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
13
Views
587
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 22, 2026
qikgts
S
Preparation for Holley Terminator X install – Foxbody 306 (electrical fan, alternator, MSD Ignition, etc)
  • So_Flo
  • Mar 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
22
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 4, 2026
General karthief
V
Cooling fan low speed not turning on
  • vman
  • Feb 27, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
747
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 24, 2025
vman
V
M
2001 cobra ignition timing off
  • Mike3
  • Jul 13, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
9
Views
301
SVT Tech Forum Aug 2, 2026
Mike3
M
W
High Cylinder Head Temp - Not Overheating?
  • wtfwork12
  • Jun 26, 2025
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
9
Views
2K
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 1, 2025
wtfwork12
W
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?