Rear end

Alex72stang

Apr 23, 2020
California
I recently bought a 72 Mustang. The owner said the differential was possibly overfilled. I just pulled out the filler plug and about 3/4 quart of oil came out. He said he filled it through the axle thinking there was a leak in it. He got the car as a trade and sold it within a month of getting it. I’m wondering if I can just plug it back up and be done with it. It has been leaking out of the drum brakes so probably need to clean the brakes out?

• Sponsors (?)

So it sounds like he filled it through the vent hole. Opening and draining via the plug should get you to the proper level...for now. If it is leaking out the axles and fouling the brakes, even when over filled, it sounds like you have bad axle seals. I would pull the axles and the the seals and bearings replaced. The will require a press, so you will likely have to take the axles to a shop to have them do that for you.

To "clean the brakes" you will need to buy new brake shoes. It will be a waste of money to do that without fixing the leak as they will foul again in short order.

So it sounds like he filled it through the vent hole. Opening and draining via the plug should get you to the proper level...for now. If it is leaking out the axles and fouling the brakes, even when over filled, it sounds like you have bad axle seals. I would pull the axles and the the seals and bearings replaced. The will require a press, so you will likely have to take the axles to a shop to have them do that for you.