Rear Ends, How Many Did Complete Rebuild As Well As Trac Lok

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
Hey when you fellas swapped out rear gears how many of yall did a rear end rebuild "kit" or did most of you just get gears? Also was wondering how many of you guys had the traction lok rebuilt while you were in there? Would be my luck and I'd take it to a mechanic (im new to the area) and he'd just throw in the gears and keep the gaskets and oil ect that comes with the kit for himself. Same goes for the trac lok rebuild kit. I'm not 100% I need the trac lok rebuilt but with the miles on it I'd imagine. One more thing, wonder how much extra to rebuild the trac lok? Looks like I rambled on this one. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-4209FRA-K/Mustang-88-355-Rear-Gear-Kit

• Sponsors (?)

I would find a reputable shop and ask the mechanic there what he suggest. It may be cheaper for him to use items (shims, bearings, gaskets) that he already has readily available. If the car has a lot of miles on it, I would go ahead and do the diff rebuild. I rebuilt one a few months ago and it was super easy. It would beat having to replace the fluids and gasket again in a year when the diff starts to go bad.

Joe

I have done all of my own gear swaps and rebuilds. For strictly a gear swapp, you may not need to change the diff bearings, but most likely will need to change the pinion shaft bearings. Diff shims may or may not be needed, it has to be setup and measured.

Changing the traction loc clutches is not very hard. I did it to the 8.8 I set up with 4.56 gears for the eigth mile.

Overall, I don't change stuff that does not need it.