• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Rear Main Seal Repair Sleeve ???

  • Thread starter Thread starter gregpro50
  • Start date Start date Apr 4, 2005

gregpro50

Member
Sep 11, 2004
140
0
16
Binghamton NY
Apr 4, 2005
#1
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #1
OK, I did my rear main seal once and it leaked. I am now going for the second try. I ordered a teflon rear main seal. Advance Auto also has a repair sleeve that fits over the crank for like $10. Has anyone installed one of these before?? The tool to put it in costs $26 from them but I was just going to take it back after I used it. I assume that the sleeve eliminates the small groove in the crank that the old seal formed from rubbing against it. I figured for another $10 for the sleeve I would give it a try. Do you have to install the new rear main seal in as far as it will go back in the block ?? It seemed like the original one wasnt all the way back in. It didnt leak though. I prolly shouldnt have touched it.
 

1970 slantroof

Founding Member
May 14, 2001
189
0
0
Far S.E. Arizona
Apr 4, 2005
#2
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #2
I have not used the sleeve on the rear main but have put several of them on the crank snout for the timing cover seal. They work fine. If you have a groove in the crank, I would try it.
Howard
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Drivetrain 8.8 Pinion and 302 rear main seal leaks after replacing. 93 5.0 with t-5
  • Steigy4827
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
775
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 1, 2026
Steigy4827
S
Getting A Sleeve
  • Potomus Pete
  • Nov 28, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
256
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 29, 2024
Potomus Pete
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
836
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
O
Progress Thread LTD-ing
  • OX1
  • Mar 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
445
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 6, 2026
OX1
O
2
Resolved Electrical mayhem
  • 2000ElectricGreen
  • Mar 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
384
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 4, 2026
2000ElectricGreen
2
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?