rear upper strut mounts

Torinalth

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
Clayton NC
I was working in the back of my car yesterday finishing my amprack, rear seat delete, and the rear of the rear wireing i have been neglecting. well, i was looking over the upper strut mounts while back there (HR springs came today and Bilsteins come tomorrow says UPS) and noticed something that i am not sure if its an issue or not.

looking at the drivers side mount it looks, well, normal, then comparing it to the passenger side mount it looks almost 1/4-1/2 inch higher.... if you look at the mounts you have the bolt comming through the middle, a lil frisbee under the nut, and the rubber piece underneath that then the rear shock tower.... well, it looks like the spacing between the left and the right that the passenger side is.. well... gaped more.

is this normal, my thinking is no, and what do i need to look into if anything for fixing it... or do i wait and see what i run into when i do my suspension in the next couple days.

Torinalth

• Sponsors (?)

I just got my HRs and isolators in yesterday and UPS tracking shows my bilsteins are at my doorstep now.... so i am going to be replacing it all either saturday or sunday... not ever playing with the stang suspension before how is the unit actually attached... well... to keep from going anywhere... or is it like a sandwich that presses a plate from the bottom of the tower against the bushing and then capped by the top piece thhat the bolt rests on. my damn helms is at home or i'd look myself...

Torinalth

There is a rubber insulator that fills a large hole around the top of the shock shaft. It insulates the body from that shaft with rubber and the metal "frisbee" caps it down just like the dust cover on the front struts. You will easily understand it when you pull it apart... The Bilstiens will probably come with all new pieces for that area...