Removing lower intake

Andres2882

Jan 29, 2004
I am swapping intakes and wish to know if there are any fluids I should drain or precautions I should take besides draining the coolant? Don't want to mess anything up.

• Sponsors (?)

Make sure to not spill too much coolant in the valley. You're going to be doing a mandatory oil change afterwards but just try not to spill a huge amount. Make sure you cover the valley when scraping the gasket areas...

That's all I can really think of at the moment. Hope that helps!

- Jeff

jzgt said:
Make sure to not spill too much coolant in the valley. You're going to be doing a mandatory oil change afterwards but just try not to spill a huge amount. Make sure you cover the valley when scraping the gasket areas...

That's all I can really think of at the moment. Hope that helps!

- Jeff

Agreed......also make sure to cover the intake ports on the heads. I usually take some paper towels and put them in each intake port then when Im done, I just use a shop vac to on each intake port and let it suck out the paper towel and gasket scrapings. Does a great job and keeps it from falling into the lifter valley or into the intake port.

Also use RTV at the end seals instead of the cork gaskets and some around the coolant ports. I also used a non hardening gasket sealant on the head surface to help seal the gasket better.

If you have 4 long studs (or long bolts with the heads cut off) the same size as the intake bolts, put them into the corner holes to use as a guide for the lower intake so you know it goes on straight and doesnt shift the intake gaskets around.