• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Removing Upper Intake

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mavrick
  • Start date Start date May 27, 2004
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

Michael Yount

Mustang Master
Apr 10, 2002
9,039
6
79
Charlotte, NC
May 28, 2004
#21
  • May 28, 2004
  • #21
"I stop when you hear that metallic squeak. That's when I consider it snug. "

Can't tell you how dangerous that approach is with the upper, at least from my perspective. You're screwing into a cast aluminum lower intake - it's very weak. It doesn't take much to break it. I've seen folks who got confused on their torque specs totally rip a chunk out of the lower at as low as 22-24 ft-lbs. Use the wrench - that's what it's for. The squeak of threads tells you nothing at all.
 

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
1,899
4
39
Assonet, MA
May 28, 2004
#22
  • May 28, 2004
  • #22
Yeah, I know it's risky, but like I said, I was being lazy. When I pull it again to do the VCs I'll torque it down properly.
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
492
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
T
Electrical Brown Connector #31
  • ta66
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
162
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 30, 2026
ta66
T
B
Leaking top of intake
  • Bertan
  • Jan 1, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
383
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jan 17, 2026
manicmechanic007
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
363
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
O
Sooty/Oily Front Engine & Pulleys
  • ozenator
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
405
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 22, 2026
Blackhawkxx
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?