Engine Replacement EEC - Help

new to the post trying to get some information I currently have a 1970 Ford Bronco and put in 1988 302 HO. I was reading the code 18. I have that code and have traced it back to the ground pin coming out of the ecm. It is broke off inside. Here is the problem went to order new ecm and they need a vin for the vehicle. The engine was out of a donor car and no vin. Is there someone or some thing out there that can share a vin with me so I can order a new vin. Also is this true they need the vin to flash the new ecm for that vehicle. Any suggestions on this greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

new to the post trying to get some information I currently have a 1970 Ford Bronco and put in 1988 302 HO. I was reading the code 18. I have that code and have traced it back to the ground pin coming out of the ecm. It is broke off inside. Here is the problem went to order new ecm and they need a vin for the vehicle. The engine was out of a donor car and no vin. Is there someone or some thing out there that can share a vin with me so I can order a new vin. Also is this true they need the vin to flash the new ecm for that vehicle. Any suggestions on this greatly appreciated.

I've moved your question to its own thread. Make sure you hit the "Subscribe" button so that you get alerts.

Are you still speed density or has your car been converted to Mass Air?

Might be repairable; depends where the "pin is broken off".
Inside the ECU case or inside the ECU connector back shell?
The ECU connectors are becoming extremely rare as are the harness connectors
ECM's are matched to the engine, not to the vehicle.
1988 302 is Speed Density, not Mass Air, unless it was converted.
What is the ECU part number, e.g. DA1

I see that a lot of parts stores want the VIN, don't know why.

BTW, Code 18
Key On Engine Running - SPOUT circuit open or spark angle word failure.
Continues Memory - IDM circuit failure or SPOUT circuit grounded.

Might be repairable; depends where the "pin is broken off".
Inside the ECU case or inside the ECU connector back shell?
The ECU connectors are becoming extremely rare as are the harness connectors
ECM's are matched to the engine, not to the vehicle.
1988 302 is Speed Density, not Mass Air, unless it was converted.
What is the ECU part number, e.g. DA1

I see that a lot of parts stores want the VIN, don't know why.

BTW, Code 18
Key On Engine Running - SPOUT circuit open or spark angle word failure.
Continues Memory - IDM circuit failure or SPOUT circuit grounded.
I opened the case and could not get to where all the pins are soldered down at. When you pull the harness off, and looking at the pins. That pin was slightly out and I was able to pull the pin with out any effort. Now I called a place back east that sells and build ecu and the confirmed they use the vin for matching the ecu motor. I don't see the big deal but that's what I've been told.
My ECU is. E7SF-12A650-Z1B
The DA I'll have to get back with you.
And does it matter if mine is aHO and I use a ECU from non HO?

Can you post a pic of the ECU data sticker? Has all the numbers on it. Like this....
Screenshot_2019-09-20-17-47-31-1.png

Post a pic of the ECUs label like the above pics. The 3 or 2 digit code at top right is how you ID the ECU model

The VIN does not get flashed to the ECU.

Parts stores are moving towards VINs to look up part numbers. Most dealers already do this. Parts stores aren’t all there yet.

ECU from a HO or non-hO does matter as non HO is batch fire and HO is sequential injector fire

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I opened the case and could not get to where all the pins are soldered down at. When you pull the harness off, and looking at the pins. That pin was slightly out and I was able to pull the pin with out any effort. ...
Pull the pin out of harness or the ECU?
Very difficult to break an ECU pin.
The socket pins in the harness are removable.

If you have a broken ECU pin, you will need a new ECU.

Post a pic of the ECUs label like the above pics. The 3 or 2 digit code at top right is how you ID the ECU model

The VIN does not get flashed to the ECU.

Parts stores are moving towards VINs to look up part numbers. Most dealers already do this. Parts stores aren’t all there yet.

ECU from a HO or non-hO does matter as non HO is batch fire and HO is sequential injector fire
This is what I have

Attachments

• 1137.jpeg
    1137.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 134
87-88 mustang 5-spd ECU

My '88 5-spd was a DA1; still have it.

DZ1 is not on the list. I wonder if it's a reman. unit?

Here's a DZ1 on eBay for a reasonable price, $145.99

I am not exactly sure what you are asking for but Vehicle VIN Stickers makes all typ of automotive stickers. I am sure that they can and will make you one. Hit them up on their website. They also own Auto Repair VIN Stickers Good luck.
old thread and he was asking about ECU info, the members were talking about the part number sticker on the ECU,
the info on the repop vin stickers is good to know though,