• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Replacing oil pan

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1105
  • Start date Start date Aug 7, 2004

1105

I AM the random post master...bow down
May 3, 2003
3,841
0
0
Daytona Bch, FL
Aug 7, 2004
#1
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #1
Is it possible to replace it with the engine still in the car? Mine is leaking form where I had to drill the holes for my oil drain for my twin setup and everything I try doesnt work. Has anyone done this before or know if its possible?
 

89 blue lx

Founding Member
Nov 18, 2001
1,936
0
37
FSU in tallahassee GO SEMINOLES!
Aug 7, 2004
#2
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #2
i dont think so because of that damn cross member i have to change the gasket and i am not loooking forward to it
 
B

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,612
1
78
Space Coast, FL
Aug 7, 2004
#3
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #3
Yes, you can swap it with the motor still in the car. But it will require dropping the K-member. Even if you unbolt the motor mounts and lift it up, the tranny won't allow it to raise high enough to allow the pan to clear the rotating assembly.

Personally, if the only reason you're going to pull it is to fix some leaks, I wouldn't bother. I'd just get under there and fix it with the proper fittings, or if that isn't the case, some sealant of some sort (RTV, JB weld, whatever). If that doesn't work, pull the pan.
 

89 blue lx

Founding Member
Nov 18, 2001
1,936
0
37
FSU in tallahassee GO SEMINOLES!
Aug 7, 2004
#4
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #4
can you lift it enough to get the gasket off?
 
W

wytstang

Mustang Master
Mar 14, 2004
4,988
4
78
Summerville,SC missing South Fl. weather :(
Aug 7, 2004
#5
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #5
Yes, when I worked at ford all we did was drop the pan and remove the old gasket. When installing the new gasket you will have to play with it a bit to get it to go under the oil pump/pick up screen.
 

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
3,501
28
119
Motor City
Aug 7, 2004
#6
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #6
My buddy had his oil pan replaced on his 95 GT by a FORD mechanic, and he just lifted the motor up as high as it would go, and he swapped the pan and gasket. He had an auto trans. He had the car back in 1 day. It doesn't leak or anything.
 
B

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,612
1
78
Space Coast, FL
Aug 7, 2004
#7
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #7
SVT32VDOHC said:
My buddy had his oil pan replaced on his 95 GT by a FORD mechanic, and he just lifted the motor up as high as it would go, and he swapped the pan and gasket. He had an auto trans. He had the car back in 1 day. It doesn't leak or anything.
Click to expand...

Interesting. My motor barely lifted high enough to swap motor mounts, and even then I had to force them.
 

89 blue lx

Founding Member
Nov 18, 2001
1,936
0
37
FSU in tallahassee GO SEMINOLES!
Aug 7, 2004
#8
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #8
can anyone post up or pm with a prcedure that has everything to replace the gasket so i can do it next weekend
 

Car Nut

Founding Member
Jul 6, 2000
1,176
1
37
Snellville, Georgia (Atlanta area)
Aug 7, 2004
#9
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #9
I'm getting my oil pan gasket replaced at a shop as we speak. They are lifting the engine to remove/replace the old gasket, as well as replace the motor mounts (since the engine is lifted, might as well get stuff done to save $$$). My rear main seal is being replaced as well, but I do believe they are removing the tranny for that (good time to check the clutch situation, I guess).
 

1105

I AM the random post master...bow down
May 3, 2003
3,841
0
0
Daytona Bch, FL
Aug 8, 2004
#10
  • Aug 8, 2004
  • #10
Thanks for the help.

Dan, I've tried fixing the holes by plugging them up but nothing seems to work
 
B

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,612
1
78
Space Coast, FL
Aug 8, 2004
#11
  • Aug 8, 2004
  • #11
1105 said:
Dan, I've tried fixing the holes by plugging them up but nothing seems to work
Click to expand...

Out of curiousity, what type of connections and fittings are you using?
 

1105

I AM the random post master...bow down
May 3, 2003
3,841
0
0
Daytona Bch, FL
Aug 8, 2004
#12
  • Aug 8, 2004
  • #12
sorry to keep bringing this thread back up to the top..

I'm using rubber plugs and RTV. I cant thread anything into the pan so thoes kind of fittings wont work
 
B

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,612
1
78
Space Coast, FL
Aug 9, 2004
#13
  • Aug 9, 2004
  • #13
1105 said:
I'm using rubber plugs and RTV. I cant thread anything into the pan so thoes kind of fittings wont work
Click to expand...

I'm ASSuming that you're saying they won't work because you can't back the threads up from the inside without pulling the pan. But here's what I'd do first:

Drill the oil pan with a bit just a hair under "X" as measured on the fittings you're using. I'd probably go 1/16" smaller.



Then thread it in with high temp RTV to complete the seal. Let it sit over night to cure and then run a ton of oil through the motor and let it drain to pull out the metal from drilling. Of course, don't forget to drain the oil before drilling. You may also want to consider using a magnet to help pull the filings over to the drain.

I know we're getting a bit off the path of how to drop the pan, but speaking from personal experience, dropping the pan tends to be a can of worms as far as leaks go. I avoid it if at all possible.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
570
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sunday at 4:40 PM
manicmechanic007
K
86 GT Water Pump
  • Kade5114
  • May 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
172
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 11, 2026
nickyb
J
Engine Coolant leak from oil filter
  • jr273
  • Mar 26, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
333
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 31, 2026
squeak93
C
C4 trans help needed
  • CPH89LX
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
302
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 28, 2026
CPH89LX
C
Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
478
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?